Tornado Outbreak Day 2 – Death Toll now over 30 (2-days)

April 28th, 2014 at 7:28 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

tupelo one   tupelo three From:  “ 1h   “Just saw the biggest tornado I’ve ever seen in my life right now SW of Columbus, MS”.  Here’s the Louisville MS tornado.   Spotter reports “all homes gone on Price Lane and Howell Hill Road” 2 mi west of Crystal Springs, TN.  Emergency rescue operations now in Flintville, TN.   State Senator’s home wrecked in MSDamage at S. Lincoln Elem. School in Tenn. (I don’t think the bus is supposed to be there).   12:35 am:  “Very large tornado right over Bessemer, Alabama – 0.75-1.0 miles wide”.   UAB West Hospital in Bessemer, AL reportedly hit by tornado.

The pics. are from WTVA – this is the north side of Tupelo, MS.  The death toll from today’s tornadoes is at four (probably six) and we have 16 fatalities from the Sunday tornadoes – 15 in Arkansas and one in Oklahoma.  There was also a storm fatality in Iowa.  Here’s radar from Jackson MSAtlanta, Huntsville, Columbus MS, Birmingham, Nashville, Chicago.    Here’s current SPC Watches, Convective Outlooks and today’s Storm Reports.  New Tornado Watch includes AtlantaDoor flies 30 miles in Mississippi tornadoDestruction in the North Tupelo Tornado.   Damage at Vanellis Restaurant nr. Tupelo.   Extensive damage from the tornado that has moved thru the Jackson MS area.  Pic. of the Limestone TornadoLouisville MS damage.  Pics., video, coverage from Jackson MS on WAPT, WJVT, WLBT.  Jackson radar misses tornado by around 1/4 mile!   Pics. of damage in Richland, MS.   Damage in Tupelo – could be a motel?  Yazoo City MS tornado…another giant wedge.    SPC and the National Weather Service has once again done an awesome job of getting the outlooks, watches and warnings in place before the storms.

81 Responses to “Tornado Outbreak Day 2 – Death Toll now over 30 (2-days)”

1. jerry hoag says:

WOW. took a while but now the severe weather season is kicking off strong and hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Praying heavily for all the families down south. I am sure all our prayers are out for all the families down south, yesterday, today and going forward!!!!!! 2014 going to be a multi day Tornadic Outbreak like we haven’t seen in a few years or so….

2. jerry hoag says:

Unless I stand corrected I count 21 Tornado Warnings right now at this present moment down south in Alabama and Mississippi. WOW…..

3. Cort S. says:

The massive, slow-moving low-pressure system responsible for all this (as seen from spaaaaaaaaaace!)

Nice!

4. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Let’s hope and pray we don’t have a major tornado outbreak here in Michigan. I know we are overdue for a outbreak.

At the risk of being a smart-aleck during a tornado outbreak – first we need warm weather ;-)

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am talking about anytime this season. I know we need warm temp. AccuWeather saying 73° on Tuesday.

1. TomKap (Michigan & Fuller - GR) says:

Your words about ‘hoping for none’ will soon be buried on this blog by the ‘Rocky’s Of Summer Storms’ (ROSS) people cheering for tornadic mayhem.

3. Theresa says:

I live in hasting too… so shame on you for saying that, you know once said…
      well anyway, God bless and keep your eye to the sky and i will too!! :)

Canceled my TV a month ago since MSU sporting season is done. Watching TWC live stream for free, entertaining :)

6. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I guess, people on this blog enjoys death and destruction.

Only of furnaces :)

Kidding. It’s safe to say people on the blog love weather. This is spring weather and another reason. Added to the countless reasons, to not live in Mississippi or Alabama.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I also love the weather and watch the development of severe storms. I lived down in Dixie for 7 years, been in a few tornadoes and had couple real close calls. I may get hype up about severe storms, never want to see loss of life. One day we will have our major tornado outbreak. Tuesday with the temperature getting up to 70°+, never know what might happen. We might get some strong storms. I want to have a nice normal thunderstorm…LOL.

2. Theresa says:

yeah.. and i got a vacation planned for AL…

7. Cort S. says:

This door from the Louisville tornado landed on the Mississippi State campus, 30 miles to the northeast.

Wow!

To cold for Tornadoes in Michigan!! Watching thunderstorms again moving at us falling apart due to the COLD air over us!!!! INDYY!!!!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Never too cold for thunderstorms, but tornadoes yes.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

The tornado that hit downtown Kalamazoo years ago, it was a cool day.

9. Cort S. says:

Holy cow, Ben… “biggest tornado I’ve ever seen in my life” … and this guy saw the Moore EF5 last year!

Depends how close you are I guess.

1. Cort S. says:

He was close enough to hear the sound of the giant blender in Moore last year. I think it may have a lot to do with the rich moisture there in the Southeast. A bigger tornado condensation funnel than Moore does not automatically mean stronger. Since the tornado is the wind, and not the cloud, you can have a tornado on the ground without the condensation funnel reaching the ground thanks to dry air, or you can have a large condensation funnel thanks to very humid air, but the core of more extreme winds may be embedded somewhere inside.

El Reno is a perfect example.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I think you are correct Cort , as I just started to view a few more pics and vids of some of these tornadoes and they look larger than life , so I couldn’t imagine seeing one with the naked eye with these large hp tornadoes. Must be something that can only be explained in its full magnitude by those ” fortunate ” enough to witness this from a safe distance. When you posted some of the forecast models of these potential storm cells that we are know seeing come to light , they are playing out close to that of the animations . I’m looking at some of these storms on radar , and I can’t help but to be at a loss for words , as these cells are enormous and in sets of 4-5 at times.

if it don’t warm up We may not even get thunderstorms this summer!!! INDYY!

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Sure feels that way doesn’t it.

2. Paul m says:

It will warm up!

11. Brian (Grandville) says:

Greg Forbes, and Cantore do a really good job with these situations.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

2. jerry hoag says:

+1,00000000000000000000 TRAZILIION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cantore was in Norman when I came home at lunch yesterday. When I got home after work, he was in the TWC studio. Stud.

You light up My NITE::: http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer_files/lts-image.jpg?foo=1398737705337. Stay Cued…. 4 flashes & Rumble’s in Thee West Michigan SKY………

1. jerry hoag says:

Jack love it man!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay strong brother!

13. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

What has been the strongest ” confirmed ” tornado up to this point , I haven’t really had a chance to look today.?

1. Cort S. says:

Either Tupelo MS, or Louisville MS, or I don’t know, I’ve lost track of all of them. There have been maybe a couple dozen tornado debris signatures on radar. Some of those have been long-track / long-lived. There have been about a half dozen tornado emergencies issued by the NWS. We’ll have to wait for the damage surveys to be completed this week to know what’s what.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I wish you didn’t say that , my brothers ex-wife Ruth lives in Tupelo and teaches the university . We Have not been able to reach her still as she still remains close friends with my brother and our family. I pray she is okay and it’s just a communication thing…..

1. Cort S. says:

The tornado tracked north and west of the town center, kind of on a path from near the airport (west side of town) to near US-45 & US-78 intersection (north of town). I hope you can reach her soon.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Cool just talked with her parents from OKC , all is well……

14. John (Norton Shores) says:

Confirmed large tornado on the ground right now per the Weather Channel just east of Sandersville MS.

15. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Just took the trash out and it sprinkled earlier, but it felt like it was snowing. :O

16. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Night spin – ups must be a very freighting thing to experience , I think it’s fairly incredible to still see these storms reform over and over again , as there is a endless supply of moisture it seems. 4-5 tornado warned storms near Tuscaloosa Alabama and also Birmingham .

17. John (Norton Shores) says:

Very well defined debris ball just south of Tuscaloosa.

18. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

My god a huge Debris ball coming into the city of graysville

1. Cort S. says:

Yeah, that went from ho-hum rotation, almost considering dropping the warning, to rapidly wound-up with debris on radar in about 10 minutes.

NWS has issued tornado emergencies for the tornadoes SE of Tuscaloosa and NW of Birmingham.

1. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

I have a bad feeling for tomorrow too since they atmosphere should be able to recover from these by 2-3pm again tomorrow. any thoughts on that?

1. Cort S. says:

I’ll defer to SPC on that one since I haven’t looked at it. I hear that shear might be a little weaker tomorrow? But yes, the atmosphere will likely be recharged tomorrow over Alabama thanks to constant low-level south flow bringing up warm moist air.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Here is what the SPC says for tomorrow, there could be a few strong tornadoes tomorrow.

THE GREATEST SVR RISK WILL EXTEND ACROSS THE MODERATE RISK AREA
          SIGNIFICANT…ALONG WITH DAMAGING WINDS…AND TORNADOES WILL ALL BE
          POSSIBLE. SOME RISK FOR STRONG TORNADOES WILL EXIST…ESPECIALLY IF
          CONVECTION CAN EVOLVE AHEAD OF THE SFC BOUNDARY WHERE SFC WINDS
          REMAIN RELATIVELY MORE BACKED AND IN PROXIMITY TO A FRONT-PRECEDING
          35-40-KT H85 LLJ.

19. John (Norton Shores) says:

I feel so bad for folks in Graysville right now.

20. Cort S. says:

These tornadoes in central Alabama are spinning up quickly, then choking themselves off, then sometimes redeveloping. You can see the debris signatures on radar are tight at first, then when the rotation broadens out and weakens, the debris can be seen falling out on radar over a larger area.

21. John (Norton Shores) says:

The storm just south of Tuscaloosa looks very intense and it heading right towards Birmingham.

22. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

Oh boy.. that storm is going to hit Birmingham…

23. John (Norton Shores) says:

Tornado warning for Birmingham now for that large tornado on the ground right now, this could get very serious, Im hoping that everyone in Birmingham is awake and getting ready to go into storm cellars!

1. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

Tornado not reported on the ground right now but it could drop at any time.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I really hope that one does not occur, this is very populated area.

1. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

Well its now confirmed back on the ground

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

All we can do is pray and hope it doesn’t hit Birmingham.

3. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

Ughh and another debris signature. I’m so glad i don’t live down there such a terrifying night

4. Cort S. says:

Luckily these TDSs in central Alabama have been fairly short-lived, unlike the long-track tornadoes in Mississippi. But it’s especially not good to see debris on radar at night.

5. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

jeez that couplet is near maxed out thats absolutely insane!

6. Cort S. says:

Yeah it really tightened up SE of North Johns. Lots of trees that it’s chewing up right now. It won’t be long until it gets to a populated town. Hopefully it chokes itself off soon. And I think it might be. Unfortunately, yet another one seems like it’s spinning up just to the SE of the other one.

24. John (Norton Shores) says:

Craig Forbes just said this is looking like the El Reno tornado, not good when you here that! Praying for everyone in this area, especially for Birmingham.

1. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

its actually greg forbes lol

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Oh yes sorry lol whoops, good thing he doesn’t know about this blog lol!

2. Cort S. says:

I don’t think it’s quite that bad. The tornado circulations do not look very large nor extremely strong (they are strong at times, though). They are chewing up trees and buildings pretty good, but they don’t last very long before they choke. Then another spins up to the SE of the old one.

1. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

..TORNADO EMERGENCY CONTINUES FOR JEFFERSON COUNTY

AT 1114 PM CDT…NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR AND STORM
        SPOTTERS WERE TRACKING A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO 4
        MILES SOUTHWEST OF HUEYTOWN. THIS TORNADO WAS LOCATED NEAR ALABAMA
        ADVENTURE…OR NEAR BESSEMER…MOVING NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. ANOTHER
        TORNADO IS LIKELY TO FORM NEAR MCCALLA AND BESSEMER…AND WILL MOVE
        TO THE NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH.

25. John (Norton Shores) says:

Tornado emergency for Hueytown.

26. Stephen (North Muskegon) says:

looks like the town of bessemer is taking a direct hit

27. Cort S. says:

Not looking good in Bessemer, a suburb of Birmingham. Debris signature on radar right in the heart of town. Lots of population right where the radar puts the tornado. If the tornado holds together, it’ll stay within a populated area all the way up to Birmingham.

1. Cort S. says:

The good news is that the tight circulation has since been lost, but that has been the behavior of these central Alabama storms. Spin up, die off, maybe spin up later somewhere nearby.

28. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

This is a long post I know , but it’s late and most are pretty close too done . Wanted to post just a few past comments because I always seem to read the same things from some on the blog about how people continually ” hype ” weather events and wish for doom and destruction when nothing could be farther from the truth. Just a bunch of ” franks and weather weenies ” ( lol sorry had to use your quote Cort ) who have a passion for meteorology / weather phenomena . My prayers again will be with the affected friends and families of these past and ongoing events.

DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:
    April 26, 2014 at 4:16 am
    Sooo I wanted to sleep in but it didn’t work….. Okay the severe outlooks have grown quite a bit and the moderate area is much larger for tomorrow and I think there is an outside chance we might see that upgraded to a ” high risk ” level if things continue to come together. This could very easily become a PDO or PDS ( which ever terminology you prefer ) very quickly the way this is shaping up. I hate to say this but it’s not a question of if but rather how many dozen tornadoes will occur at this point , as it’s to soon to call for an outbreak per-say or even a high risk cat. for sure , but the next 2-3 days are going to be eventful. I pray that people take all necessary precautions

michael g (SE GR) says:
    April 26, 2014 at 4:52 am
    Reed Timmer is saying this will be the largest tornado outbreak in quite a while over the next three days.

Mark (East Lansing) says:
    April 26, 2014 at 5:22 am
    I wouldn’t be surprised if a high risk is issued – only because they’ve been talking about this event for so many days.

Larry of Hastings, barry co says:
    April 26, 2014 at 6:36 am
    I am sure there will be one or more EF5 tornadoes this weekend and into next week. I still believe we could see west Michigan in the slight risk of severe storms next week. We might start getting severe storms sooner than June/July. I will be watching the storm developments this afternoon. I wonder if any of our storm chasers will be in the Oklahoma area today?

Cort S. says:
    April 26, 2014 at 7:48 am
    Summary of the next 4 days of severe weather from SPC:

What’s pretty upsetting is that so many people who get hit on Monday will face more severe weather on Tuesday.

Also of note, April 25-28 is the 3-year anniversary of the 2011 super tornado outbreak, with the biggest day occurring on April 27:

29. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Sr. Bill I have to make a comment about the headline on your thread ,( although I should just bite my tung ) and I also understand that I’m just one voice expressing my own personal opinion. First I should state that I have nothing but the highest respect for you both as a person and as a professional and I know you mean no harm , however I think the media in general throws around the words ” death toll ” around all to frequently in this day and time. ( I also don’t lump you into main stream networks per-say , I should add ) But for some reason those words just seem to take away from human aspect of the people affected and ring more true to that of an attention getter , or hook if you will. I know it’s just a matter of vernacular or potato vs patatoe and I know you weren’t using it in the fashion that say a CNN would and there ridiculous hola deck they use all to frequently. I’m sure it’s more of a representation of fact , not lending it much thought if any at all and obviously weren’t doing this for affect or ratings for your blog. You may think I’m way off base but if you do share some of the same feelings that I do , would you be so kind to maybe pass it on, and keep being better than the next network work out there , as you are already light years ahead of the curve . But as you know there is always room to improve and to tweak the little things which add up to make a big difference and further separate wood tv from that of the rest. Thanks Bill

I don’t spend a lot of time on the headline (I don’t have the time)…I usually write the first thing that comes into my head. Headlines are interesting and mean to both describe the content and also capture a reader. It depends on the audience. “Tornadoes hit the South” might work for the BBC, but that doesn’t tell my audience anything they don’t already know. Here, I’m including the latest top fact in the headline. It describes the impact of these storms. In this day and age…sometimes people only read headlines. But you’re comment is duly noted and it is a good one. I want the blog to be more than a tabloid.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I think some here do not read the blog and go straight to the comments. :-)

3. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Thanks for your response Bill , I should rearticulate that my statement is directed more towards a TV news forum as I feel you seem to hear ” death toll ” over and over almost like a score board , and the higher the score the more ratings. ( many times over-speculating ) . On a blog not really a big deal but seeing those words brought that feeling to my stomach when I hear it blasted on the news all day / night as I feel there could be a softer approach . Thanks again Bill for taking the time to respond .

1. kemp says:

Cincinnati sux

30. suehelen says:

Gosh, I love severe weather. NOT.

31. kemp says:

The computer models were wrong red shaded Areas means supercell tornadoes for Cincinnati ohio the meteoroligists were wrong they lir when red shaded means tornadoes the weather channel said tornadoes noaa were wrong they keep saying for Ohio valley s it does not happen tornadoes severe weather never happens never tornadoes will hapen in Cincinnati ohio moisture in the air tornado outbreak they were all red shded means tornadoes I love severe weather I have never been in tornadoes I woyld live in south in texas missipiie kansas I never been in n tornadoes I love to be in I love tornadoes I thought it was ging to be tornadoes in cincinnat tor cion was wrong.