SLIGHT RISK AREA INCLUDES MICHIGAN!

April 29th, 2014 at 2:28 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

day1otlk_1200     The Storm Prediction Center has moved the Slight Risk Area for this afternoon up into Michigan.  It now covers most of Lower Michigan.  Here’s the full  SPC discussion.  They say:  “…LOWER MI… AFTERNOON SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE MID OH VALLEY AND NWD INTO LOWER MI…AS THE LEFT EXIT REGION OF A 120-PLUS KT JET ROUNDS THE SOUTHEAST SIDE OF THE UPPER LOW AND SPREADS ACROSS THIS REGION.   WITH 500 TO 1000 J/KG OF RELATIVELY LOW-TOPPED MIXED-LAYER CAPE PROGGED TO DEVELOP..ISOLATED SEVERE STORMS ARE EXPECTED — WITH ORGANIZATION POTENTIAL TO BE ENHANCED BY STRONG FLOW THROUGH THE MID AND UPPER TROPOSPHERE. ALONG WITH A RISK FOR HAIL…LOCALLY DAMAGING WINDS CAN BE EXPECTED THROUGH EARLY EVENING — AFTER WHICH A DIMINISHING TREND IS EXPECTED IN CONJUNCTION WITH DIURNAL BOUNDARY-LAYER STABILIZATION.”   Keep checkin’ with 24-Hour News 8 for the latest.   Again, Ben Holcomb with impressive video of the AL/MS tornadoes on DAYBREAK this morning.         Note that the Moderate Risk Area is over the same area that hit with tornadoes on Monday down in Mississippi and Alabama.      Check out This Video.

161 Responses to “SLIGHT RISK AREA INCLUDES MICHIGAN!”

1. Crayfish (Sparta) says:

I’m calling it now. I predict a T-storm warning for Muskegon and/or Allegan counties very soon for hail.

1. jerry hoag says:

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! +1,000 Gazillion…

2. jerry hoag says:

Significant Weather Advisory
    At 210 Pm Edt National Weather Service Doppler Radar Indicated A
    Strong Thunderstorm Near Saugatuck Moving North At 40 Mph.
    Penny Size Hail Wind Gusts Greater Than 40 Mph Frequent Cloud To
    Ground Lightning Brief Heavy Downpours Are Possible With This
    Storm.
    – The Thunderstorm Will Be Near
    Holland By 225 Pm Edt
    Grand Haven By 250 Pm Edt
    Douglas By 210 Pm Edt
    Saugatuck State Park By 215 Pm Edt
    Holland State Park By 220 Pm Edt
    Port Sheldon By 235 Pm Edt
    Precautionary/preparedness Actions
    Gusty Winds May Cause Small Objects Such As Trash Bins To Blow
    Around. Stay Away From High Objects Outdoors Such As Trees. Seek
    Shelter In A Sturdy Structure Until This Storm Has Passed.

3. Barry in Zeeland says:

Well that was fast, already stopped and getting brighter. Quick quarter inch of rain and some lightning. Really going to feel muggy out now if the sun comes back out.

4. jerry hoag says:

It is thundering outside right now at my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOOOO even some rain is starting to fall…..Maybe some hail will be next??? The sky is growing increasing dark.

5. Nicole in Wyoming says:

Had a couple booms of thunder, a crack of lightning then it started to rain and then hailed for about a minute and a half.

6. Ray says:

That crack of thunder just about knocked me off the chair!

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

LOL…I had that happen a time or two.

7. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Breaking news. 65 in GR Who ever said we would be lucky to hit the 50′s was dreaming. Who knew? Fantastic.

1. matt says:

Cold weather will be here soon snow and blizzards will be here who knew fantastic i love it bring it. Rock n roll is dead

8. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Sky got real dark here,couple of rumbles of thunder,now its clearing up a bit.

9. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Looks like Hastings/ Barry County will not get any thunderstorms this afternoon, maybe later. We still have sunshine, storms clouds to the west.

10. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

I better not mention anything about warmer weather or I will get Flamed on this Blog.

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I love warm weather.

1. Mike (Mattawan) says:

I second that

11. Dave says:

Pea sized hail at Hall and 131

12. kentwoodchicken says:

BWAAAK! Just a bit of storm stress, not eough to induce the laying of an egg-yet!

1. kentwoodchicken says:

*enough

2. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

LOL…I am waiting for a storm, no stress here.

13. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Spoke too soon, it’s cloudy now here in Hastings. Looks like everything is west of here.

14. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

Still have sunshine here (Southern Ionia Co.) That will be changing…I think we might catch a couple of big boomers! :)

1. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Not for long.

15. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Thunderstorm warning for Ottawa county!!!!!!!

16. Kevin (Marshall) says:

Pretty intense radar returns for the warned storm in Ottawa county.

17. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

Radar indicating large hail in Ottawa Co.

18. Aaron H (NE GR) says:

Pea size hail and heavy rain in NE Grand Rapids with the small storm that just rolled through. Hail only lasted 3 or 4 minutes, good thunder too!

19. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I was reading outside in LA and it suddenly started to pour and my book got completly soaked. It looks like a better storm is to my west in Ottowa County but more storms are on the way.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

The sky is fairly dark though, some interesting cloud features too.

20. John (Norton Shores) says:

Very dark here right now, looks like I’ll miss the storm by a few miles, but I can already here the thunder, it’s currently 63 here.

21. Aaron DeWitt says:

Missing out being at work right now. I live in the Port Sheldon area. Looks like I am missing out on the first storm of the year!

22. jerry hoag says:

Just had Pea_size hail here at my house for about 5 minutes. This happened about 20 minutes ago…..rained maybe for about 10 minutes too, some thunder. Now the sun is shining.

23. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Very cool cloud features overhead right now. The clouds are shooting up higher into te atmosphere as if it is strengthening,

24. John (Norton Shores) says:

No warning yet for Muskegon county but I am sure very soon now.

25. Lol here in Walker, I was right in the middle of two cells…it couldn’t have been more perfect to miss me. Hoping more storms develop as the afternoon goes on.

PEA SIZE HAIL..Here N.E. Gr . For about 20 seconds. And Right Now The Sun is trying to Burn Through The CLOUDS….. Stay Cued…. Listening TO:::::: STORMY..SANTANA – YouTube
    ► 4:48► 4:48
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK_jbBRTFBE. ;-)

27. Severe T-storm Warning for Ottawa Co.

28. Spring Lake and Nunica should get some decent hail

29. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Cell number two moving overhead! This one looks to be a similar strength and bit strong at all, just cool to watch. Super cool cloud features as the last one displayed as well.

30. SS (Pwell Area) says:

Just came in from outside…one really tall cloud to the north. Just came into see the weather….

31. haanstar says:

Sunny in Walker, rain split and went on both sides of me, odd

32. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Wow… 73 degrees in Ann Arbor for you, DF. Feels like a humid summer day.

33. jerry hoag says:

There is a huge dark set of cloud coming from the south towards the Westside of Grand rapids right now. I can imagine some good hail, Rain, and Thunder will be coming from this cloud set soon!!!!!!!!!!

1. jerry hoag says:

Very eerie feeling outside right now too!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also very humid right now after that rain now………..Dew point up to 59 at my place and a temp of 68.

34. I just saw the coolest thing. A storm cell sprung to life right overhead! You could feel the air rising as I stood outside and the dark clouds formed right overhead where it was once blue sky. Then out of nowhere it poured rain and now just got a rumble of thunder out of it. Get ready GR!

35. mr. negative says:

SE GR – a few sprinkles…thunder to the West, heading North of course.

36. Aaron H (NE GR) says:

The hail chipped the windshield on my truck! Suppose that’s not something to get excited about – but honestly I enjoy this weather too much.

37. Jeff Northern Ionia County says:

Hoping Ionia county gets some storms after 5pm tonight, but not sure its going to happen.

38. John (Norton Shores) says:

That cell just north of Forest Hills now has a good looking hail core on it.

1. Nathan reported hail out of it

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yup I had hail from that about 10 minutes ago.

39. Aaron H (NE GR) says:

Looking at the radar – There are some storms obviously popping in front of the main line of rain NE of Chicago, are we expecting redevelopment after that line moves through?

1. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

redevelopment I BELIEVE is possible until after midnight (thunderstorm development)

40. jerry hoag says:

Hey Bill , I replied to your email.

41. The air West of 131 seems like it would be very ripe for storms. Especially Eaton, Ionia Counties east since they have gotten sunshine for a while

42. jerry hoag says:

I took a video of the hail falling, who know the email address I send the video to for Wood Tv 8????? As in report it…something or another???

43. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

.SHORT TERM…(THIS EVENING THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT)
    ISSUED AT 253 PM EDT TUE APR 29 2014

THE MAIN CHALLENGE IN THE SHORT TERM DEALS WITH THE STORM COVERAGE
    AND STRENGTH THROUGH WEDNESDAY. SLIGHT RISK FOR SEVERE WEATHER
    EXISTS OVER MUCH OF THE REGION THROUGH THIS EVENING.

STORMS HAVE BEEN EFFICIENT AT PRODUCING HAIL SO FAR. THIS WILL

WITH MID LEVEL NVA MOVING IN AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT…I TONED BACK
    POPS THEN. ANOTHER MID LEVEL SHORTWAVE PIVOTS THROUGH ON
    WEDNESDAY. THAT COMBINED WITH INSTABILITY MAY LEAD TO ANOTHER
    ROUND OF STORMS. OVERALL THOUGH…LOOKS LIKE MUCH LESS IN THE WAY
    OF INSTABILITY…EXISTS. IN ADDITION A STRONGER MID LEVEL
    INVERSION WILL LIKELY CAP THE CONVECTIVE UPDRAFTS TO THE -10 DEG C
    LEVEL. THIS SHOULD ACT TO KEEP THE THUNDER THREAT TO A MINIMUM.

44. mark says:

What’s supposed to happen here in Holland? Certainly some fast moving grey akies. Lightning strikes are in the area.