Flood Watch

May 12th, 2014 at 3:16 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

WW0151 RADAR Thumbnail Image   Thunderstorms are forming in NW Ottawa, Muskegon and Oceana Counties moving NE.  Storms east of Chicago continue to dissipate over the cold waters of Lake Michigan.  There is now a Flood Watch for the Muskegon River in Newaygo Co. and the Looking Glass River in Clinton Co.  Rainfall today:  2.33″ Bath,  2.19″ DeWitt,  1.98″ Cedar Springs, 1.65″ St. Johns, 1.41″ Newaygo, 1.24″ Perrinton (Gratiot Co.), 1.23″ Nunica, 1.18″ Montague, 1.16″ Alaska (SE Kent Co.), 1.00″ Spring Lake, 0.99″ Mecosta, 0.93″ Pentwater, 0.82″ Allendale, 0.78″ downtown G.R., 0.76″ Ludington, 0.40″ Kentwood, 0.39″ Ford Airport G.R., 0.07″ Battle Creek, 0.06″ Kalamazoo.

The Severe T-Storm Watch has been cancelled, but the rain is not over.  While the stable air over Lake Michigan has been diminishing the storms in WI and IL – I do expect rain here at some point after midnight…either showers/storms will eventually make it across the lake or they will just develop overhead (esp. north of I-96) or develop in N. Indiana and move NE into Lower Michigan.  It’ll happen.

Today, marble-sized hail in SE Kent Co. at Alaska and pea-sized hail in Clarksville, Portland, Bedford, Mason and Waverly – wind gusts have been around 30 mph as a line of showers/t-showers has moved through, that’s all.  Three children were indirectly hit by lightning at the Grattan Academy in NE Kent Co.  We had reports of 60 mph winds, hail up to 1″ in diameter and wind damage as the line went through the Milwaukee area.   The storm by Racine WI has produced hail up to 2″ in diameter and isolated wind damage.   There were two small tornadoes reported in SE Michigan, at Detroit Beach and near Gregory.

528 Responses to “Flood Watch”

1. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

IF WE CAN JUST GET 1 STORM TO HIT LAND….WE WOULD BE FINE!!

Give it a few hours….

2. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Its turning. I see a storm fired up near Cadillac and a smaller cluster by Mount Pleasant.

I’ve said it before. W. MI has got the worst timing, when it comes to getting t-storms. Always has. Unless you’re south of 94, north of 10, or east of 66. They have to cross the widest part of the lake, and yes, it’s called the storm shredder for a good reason. In some regards it does give us some protection from what could happen. You either love it, or hate it. Most people love it though, I think.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Shedder it is thats for sure ….but when we do get elevated storms it plays no role , however we do see many surface based conditions so we are privy to watching there ultimate death. Storms will come tonight , I’m pretty confident in saying this…in another 1 hr + there will be more life. We need this warm front to fully stretch out….

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Tomorrow morning is what I really have my eye on…. Tonight will be hit for some and a big miss for many , I’m afraid ….it’s looking like these storms will not only be north but I would say big rapids and north…hope I’m wrong.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

No you’re right Darren, I’ve said the same thing earlier everything will be from Big Rapids to the North

3. mr. negative says:

Storm proof…

Plain Jane rain.

4. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

THOSE STORMS NEED TO STOP SCREWING AROUND AND GET ON LAND…THE LAKE WILL EVENTUALLY KILL THEM!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO

1. Agreed. They are slooow :(

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

+1 snail mode.! And north they go.

5. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Tornado warnings have popped up on the west side of Akron now. Seems to be just sitting there or moving really slow as well.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hey Steve I only found this Tornado warning for Cleveland , I could be wrong , but maybe you were looking at the flood warnings as those are red in color as well. Idk

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Theres one between Akron and Youngstown

6. Brent - Zeeland says:

Every storm has missed me today. The line that came through at 3:30pm was just dark clouds. The lake killed them.

7. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I dunno. I was just saying she is a Colts cheerleader is all. lol

Lol…gotcha …currently

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I think she was in 2011 and for sure in 2012 and now for 2014

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Yes my friend Ensley was a lifer with the chargers. I think 7 or 8 years I can’t remember, but a long time in that world.. At that time they got paid 75 dollars per game …lol. 2004.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

They don’t get much more today either, the little money they can make however is by getting exposure if there carrier path calls for it….modeling , commercials , acting….

8. Jerry Hoag says:

INDY I AM BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND APPARENTLY I AM YELLING AT EVERYONE….

9. Jerry Hoag says:

SORRY I DIDNT GRAB ANY HOAGIES STEVEN.,….

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Shame on you Jerry. ;)

1. Jerry Hoag says:

:-) SORRY MAYBE NEXT TIME…….BY THE WAY I HAVE NO CAR SO I WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO BRING THEM TO YOU…..

10. John (Norton Shores) says:

Those storms need to move east!

1. Jerry Hoag says:

JOHN YES THEY DO, THEY NEED TO QUIT SCREWING WITH US AS IT WAS MENTIONED ABOVE A LITTLE BIT AGO////////////AND TOMKNAP IM NOT YELLING AT EVERYONE….I HAVE A VERY HARD TIME SEEING AND THIS IS ABOUT THE BEST WAY FOR ME TO SEE….SO SORRY IF IT IS BORTHERING YOU…..CANT CHANGE WHAT HAS BEEN DEALT TO ME….

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I didn’t know you were yelling Jerry , I guess Tomkap has his hearing aid tired up to high…?

1. Jerry Hoag says:

YEAH I GUESS TOMKAP DOESNT LIKE PEOPLE USING ALL CAPS…BUT OHH WELLLL.

11. Paul says:

I have been more impressed with the storms that came through this morning. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn…

1. Jerry Hoag says:

Tigers win. Kinsler Fielder deal? Oh yeah. Porcello 6-1.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I like the duo of Cabrera/Martinez. What makes it go in Victor can switch hit.

13. Jerry Hoag says:

MAYBE WE CAN TRY TO DO THEM AT THE YARD OF BRICKS PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! INDY MIGHT HAVE SOME HOAGIES OR SOMETHING OF THE SORT……HINT, HINT INDY…

14. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Finally seeing some flashes of lighting too my west and slightly north …..

15. John (Norton Shores) says:

Areas on the east side of the lake are getting a boat load of storms, storms after storms, it’s time they share with us!

1. Ray says:

You mean westside

2. Jerry Hoag says:

JOHN YOU AREN’T KIDDING………..SHARE THE LOVE WISCONSIN AND ILLINOIS…..WE WOULD LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF THOSE STORMS IF NOT ALL OF THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET US HAVE A VERY NICE LIGHT SHOW TONIGHT AND YOU ALL HAVE JUST PLAIN RAIN……

3. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

One thing I have learned from living in Michigan is not to watch a wide scope of radar , it just drives me crazy. Sometimes I can’t help myself but I’ve found it’s just not worth the punishment , especially when you have storms that keep redeveloping over hours and hours as I can only dream we would be so fortunate. Only experienced it a handful of times and it was great!! But there is always a flip side to that coin and that’s the sticky icky humid hot days and days…..

1. Jerry Hoag says:

DARREN YOU ARE SO RIGHT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I will be sad to see this warm air by mass leave us tomorrow eve…I’ve really enjoyed the heat while it lasted and of course the boomers that came with it… I’m soaking up every last bit with my windows open and thunder in the distance..

1. Jerry Hoag says:

DARREN ME TOO MAN……..THIS WARM AIR SURE HAS FELT NICE……..BUT IT WILL BE BACK HOPEFULLY IN A FEW DAYS OR SO…..

17. Jerry Hoag says:

DAMN LAKE MICHIGAN BEING SO COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SORRY FOR THE LANGUAGE….BUT DARN IT……LOOK AT ALL THOSE STORMS IN WISCONSIN AND ILLINOIS, WE COULD BE HAVING ALL OF THOSE IF THE LAKE WASNT SO DAMN COLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Paul says:

Jerry, what the hell???? Why do you keep screaming at us??? I can’t hear anything now…

1. Jerry Hoag says:

PAUL I HAVE A VERY HARD TIME READING AND THE CAPS ARE BETTER FOR ME TO SEE, IM NOT MEANING TO MAKE IT LIKE IM YELLING AT EVERYONE CAUSE I AM NOT MEANING TO.

1. Paul says:

I am just joking Jerry, you’re cool.

2. Jerry Hoag says:

PAUL OKAY MAN….SWEET MANY THANKS BRO……

More like if the lake wasn’t even there at all.

18. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

Just be patient. We will have storms soon….its just taking its time getting here.

1. Jerry Hoag says:

TRAVIS I AM TRYING TO BE VERY PATIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THE NIGHT IS GETTING LATER, AND LATER, AND LATER.

19. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

We need to install a heat shield over the lake , or heat generation system rather , maybe we could convince the government it will help with climate change….lol. It is a depressing sight to watch as these storms are starting to get a cross but it’s the path of least resistance which = what I was afraid of m that being storms sliding through to the north , way north. ( big rapids and north ) I’m to tired to drive an hour north and watch , and there is that little thing called work tomorrow…

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Bluegill will be happy to get some storms up,his way…

2. Jerry Hoag says:

YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!! AS YOU SEE I JUST POSTED THE SIGNIFICANT WEATHER UPDATE.

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I thought there was this thing called global warming or something along those lines.

1. Jerry Hoag says:

STEVEN NO ITS CALLED GLOBAL COOLING AND SCREWING WITH YOUR MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY WANT US TO THINK WE ARE MESSING WITH THE ENVIROMENT WHEN ACTUALLY IT IS THE GOVERNMENT WHO IS…..

20. Jerry Hoag says:

Significant Weather Advisory

The following areas are affected:
    •Oceana

Ferry By 1050 Pm Edt
    Elbridge By 1105 Pm Edt
    Walkerville By 1115 Pm Edt

Precautionary/preparedness Actions
    Gusty Winds May Cause Small Objects Such As Trash Bins To Blow
    Around. Stay Away From High Objects Outdoors Such As Trees. Seek
    Shelter In A Sturdy Structure Until This Storm Has Passed.

21. steven (Derby Lake) says:

I was getting nervous. I was hoping Bill wouldn’t break in for severe weather during The Blacklist. Whewwwwww. Thanks Bill!!!

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

We might get lucky., and catch a few boomers, if we can get a little train started that would be cool as that’s more possible north but if by chance we could begin firing the storms closer to shore we would be in luck. Cool,lighting off in the distance however and it keeps calling my name…drive to me…drive to me..lol

1. Jerry Hoag says:

PSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTT. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTT. PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTT. DARREN DRIVE TO ME, DARREN DRIVE TO ME, DARRNE DRIVE TO ME…….LOLOLOL. :-)

2. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Haven’t seen anything here. Bit far away still.

3. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I haven’t seen anything yet Darren, I’m not staying up for something that probably isn’t going to happen. But my flock of geese are absolutely LOUD mouths tonight at this time where they should be sleeping, maybe they are sensing something we don’t know or see.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I hope your geese know something …. I’ll go with the geese over NWS….lol. I can see the lighting from my house because I have open view. Firing real nice to the north…

22. Jerry Hoag says:

HEY PAUL I CANT HEAR ANYTHING YOU ARE SAYING……………. :-) :-) :-)

23. Russ C says:

Anyone catching that outflow bundry approaching the Ottawa County shoreline? Could touch off some storms.

1. Jerry Hoag says:

I DO SEE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOOO GOOD CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!! MAYBE BILL WILL SAY SOMETHING ABOUT IT AT NEXT TIME HE IS ON.

1. Russ C says:

There are storms blowing up on the north end of the boundry in Muskegon county as it came on shore. It is almost hitting the shore now in Ottawa County. Lots of warm air down there. Once it hits land, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some rapidly developing storms there as well.

SOME STORMS DEVELOPING IN NORTHERN OTTAWA COUNTY TOO…MOVEMENT TO THE NORTHEAST

24. John (Norton Shores) says:

Getting some very heavy rain right now!

1. Jerry Hoag says:

JOHN SEND IT MY WAY WITH LIGHTNING AND THUNDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Jerry Hoag says:

PSSSSSSSSSSSST, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST, PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT DARREN DRIVE TO ME IM ONLY A FEW MILES AWAY AND I HAVE A BRIGHT LIGHTNING SHOW FOR YOU…..LOL..PICKING ON YOU DARREN..

Lol….

26. steven (Derby Lake) says:

One thing for sure. It’s damp here. Rained most of the day starting about 7 a.m until 3:30 pm. Lots of continuous thunder and dangerous lightening resulting in the house fire down the street.

1. Jerry Hoag says:

YIKES NOT GOOD FOR THE FAMILY WHOSE HOUSE CAUGHT FIRE……SENDING PRAYERS THEIR WAY…

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

It was an older couple.

I can hear thunder very far off in the distance.

27. Russ C says:

Wow, those twin cells over Muskegon just blew off that outflow boundry. Quite impressive looking

28. Russ C says:

29. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

GET READY FOR STORM DEVELOPMENT WEST MICHIGAN…..ITS COMING!!

30. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

Main line is making a B line right for us! Should see at least a little development ahead of it…plus that outflow boundary cant hurt things

1. Russ C says:

Ugh, if only a storm would fire ahead of that boundry say in southern Ottawa County.

31. Jerry Hoag says:

HEY FELLOW BLOGGERS I AM SIGNING OFF FOR A FEW HOURS SO I CAN TAKE A NAP….LOL….I WILL BE BACK ON SAY AROUND 3AM. I AM SO DAMN TIRED RIGHT NOW BUT I WILL BE BACK UP SO I CAN CATCH THE LIGHTNING SHOW. I MAY BE UP EARLIER IF THE SHOW STARTS EARLIER……BUT UGGGHHHHHH I AM SO DAMN TIRED RIGHT NOW….TALK TO ALL OF YOU FELLOW BLOGGERS A LITTLE LATER..

1. TomKap (Michigan & Fuller - GR) says:

WHY DO YOU NEED TO USE CAPS?????????????????????????????????????????
      (not to mention a million exclamation points)

Can’t you just type normal like this?
      You’ve become the Rocky of the Storm Season.

Settle down a bit.

32. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Seeing distant lightning and hearing distant thunder, would be nice if it made it to our end Darren.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

But it won’t happen moving North of us :-(

33. Marti B. (36th/Kalamazoo SE) says:

I have a funny feeling we’re going to get missed…. From the looks of that radar, it appears to be going around my area. Bummer! :-/

34. Russ C says:

New cell firing off just east of Grand Haven

I LIGHTING UP A FAT- ONE and Going out on The Back Porch here at The YARDofCUES:::: http://www.lightningstorm.com/explorer_files/lts-image.jpg?foo=1399955511940. Hee,heeeee..STAY CUEDD!!!

36. Brian (Grandville) says:

Everything is basically moving south to north, and not to much to the south of us. Next time, right.

37. Steven(DerbyLake) says:

Still alive and kickin’ here.

38. Brent - Zeeland says:

Storms continue to split around Holland. Everything goes to the south or north. Rain gauge remains empty.

39. tinainvbcounty says:

Awakened to a bit of a rumbler…nothing very severe…lightning and some heavy rain down here.

40. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am up, we are starting to get some good thunderstorms. Nice light show.

41. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Looks like thunderstorms most of the day. I am surprise the NWS hasn’t issues a severe thunderstorm watch. I see a lot more storms heading our way. WAKE-UP EVERYONE I AM UP AND ENJOYING THESE STORMS. LOL LOL.

42. Dan (Byron Center) says:

Flashes of lightning and some rain falling. Still warm but that is supposed to change soon. Sounds like a raw day or two coming up for Thursday and Friday. What is the timing on the cold front? Moves through this evening or before?

43. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

Double team coverage this morning…WOW. Barry County the bullseye this morning.

44. Larry of Hastings, barry co says:

I am going back to bed. The thunderstorm is over. Storms later on maybe.

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Looks to be mostly rain today without thunderstorms. Oh well time to say good bye to the beautiful temps we’ve had, hopefully this cool spell won’t last to long and we have warmer temps arriving next week.

Back to the 50′s what a cool Spring we are having! Enjoy!! INDYY!!

1. H&L says:

Indy always good for a laugh

46. Roxy (North Holland) says:

Not a drop of rain here overnight or a Rumble of Thunder. Disappointed.

47. Tim (Spring Lake) says:

I am ok with no huge storms the rest of the week. I love seeing the power of the storms, but the sump pumps in my basement are telling me it’s time for a break on the heavy rain for a little while.

48. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

They are still calling for thunder- storms today which is interesting when one looks outside or at the radar , however that doesn’t always tell the while story and in this case the thinking is the timing of the cold front set to move through. So with that said the best dynamics appear to be around Lansing to Jackson area which does make sense given the forecast and the outlooks froth the SPC. So I guess we shall see if we can get some boomers before the colder pattern settles in , as I would be very happy if we could generate one more round. Stay tuned… :)

1. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

Me to Darren but I don’t see it happening, I haven’t been as sore at all like I normally get with a strong system, but I’m about ready to tape my damn geese mouths shut!! Good Lord!! And my one duck that flips hasn’t flopped at all so all the signs are there that this isn’t an impressive system. LOL, I go by my bodometer and my flock for the real forecast, like you said radar doesn’t always tell the whole story, nor does there have to be severe weather to get animals or a body stirred up. Who knows, but have a good one. Not sure if I missed your reply or not but do you ever go up to Algoma on Fisk to look over all of Kent County and watch the storms come in?

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Responded to your comment on the fresh thread…. :)