Sunshine

June 3rd, 2014 at 1:49 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

muskegon glerl    The picture from early this PM is the Muskegon Channel looking east.  It’s clear at the beach with the stable, cool air coming off Lake Michigan.  Inland, where it’s warmer, you get the thermals that produce the scattered cumulus clouds.  Those clouds peaked in late morning and will continue to get fewer in number and farther east as we get into mid-afternoon.  Current conditions show gusts to 25-35 mph.  Red flags are out at the Lake Michigan beaches.  The winds will diminish this evening and flip to the northeast tomorrow.   The temperature at 1 pm was 70° at the Ford Airport in G.R, but only 59.9° on the beach in S. Haven, 54.8° at the beach in Muskegon and 50° on the beach at Ludington.

You can already see a few high clouds (satellite loop) on the western horizon from the system that will bring our cool rain tomorrow.   That system will be a big severe weather producer from the Plains to Ohio.  You can follow today’s Tornado and Severe T-Storm Watches here and the convective outlooks for this PM and tomorrow.   Here’s the predicted rainfall amounts from the NAM (caribou) and GFS (caribou) morning model runs.  The NAM (not surprisingly) prints out more rain (that’s the first number):   Grand Rpaids 1.44″, 0.25″ – Kalamazoo 2.50″, 0.40″ – Jackson 2.09″, 0.50″ – Big Rapids 0.90″, 0.06″ – nothing for Cadillac on either model – Mt. Pleasant 0.86″, 0.03″ – Ludington 0.59″, 0.05″ – Lansing 1.39″, 0.27″ – Muskegon 0.97″, 0.13″ – Holand 1.68″ (only NAM) and S. Haven 2.36″ (only NAM).

46 Responses to “Sunshine”

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Was in Cadillac around noon today, it was 56, mostly cloudy, very windy with a off and on rain shower.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Windy cool front coming through.

Detroit still at a muggy 83 degrees, but I’m now down to 75.

3. Jim S (Saugatuck Twp) says:

Need rain badly here. Grass is turning brown some areas as rain has missed us. NAM gives us over an inch, GFS has trended down with the 12Z run. Have a feeling we won’t get much out of this.

I am having that same idea that most of us will not get that much rain the next few days, Just cloudy and cool with some light rain.

A couple of items on a sunny, windy and cool Tuesday afternoon. It now looks like we (GR area) could get less rain tomorrow then I thought earlier and its still looks like June will be cooler then average and its beginning to look like the whole summer will be on the cool side. Of course there will be some warm days and over in Flint they will find a way to be above average more days then most other reporting stations in the state of Michigan.

Above average compared to itself. Since I’m back in A2 today I can confirm it’s hot out, way windy also.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Slim seems to have a Flint vendetta lately!

3. Boris says:

Funny how no one mentions Flint was one of the consistently coldest reporting stations on the southeast side of the state this winter.

5. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Seems At times you cant Buy any Rain around here. I need a good soaker with the cooler temps!!!

Keep this GREAT weather rolling! Cool and sunny ROCKS! FANTASTIC!!! I love it!

7. John (Norton Shores) says:

My post earlier today regarding the severe weather possibility for Sunday, I was just posting to show the discussion. At this point I would take rain over severe weather. Now I know it’s far out and will change but I was just posting, at least it’s about weather.

1. Your allowed to post what you want. I was just saying I wouldn’t get your hopes up yet because it could change. I do like the long range posts though on here. Hopefully we can get some good boomers in here we are way overdue for a classic line of storms

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

I wasn’t talking about you, I was talking about the other person who commented on my post, I think you know who he is. At this point I would take rain over severe weather, we need that more haha!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

But a good storm would be nice too! :)

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

And I’m sorry Kyle for making you think it was your fault.

1. Your fine. I was just making sure it wasn’t me

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Okay, glad we got it cleared out haha!

3. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Hmmm let me guess , was it a real positive person who goes by the name fixxer. I agree with Kyle post as you wish…..!

8. 4″ Diameter hail in Nebraska. Yikes!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

That’s huge!

1. Softball size! Now when I was chasing in Nebraska I got caught in some Baseball size hail but we got under and overpass for cover

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Glad you were able to take shelter, that would do major damage and maybe even injuries!

Looks really nasty.

Off Topic Kinda. Lockheed Martin Selected To Provide US Air Force With Space Fence Radar To Safeguard Space Resources
    Wall Street Journal ‎- 1 hour ago
    Lockheed Martin’s Space Fence solution, an advanced ground-based radar system, will enhance the way the U.S. detects, catalogs and … Stay CueDDD..

10. John (Norton Shores) says:

That MCS is beginning to form in KS, could it be the start of a possible derecho, damaging wind event?

11. Its wierd how theres only one lone severe cell in Nebraska. Others will form as we are now entering peak tornado time (4-8pm).

Wind has died down a bit here and it’s turned into a perfect day.

13. John (Norton Shores) says:

70MPH winds and softball sized hail now on that cell in KS! Quite intense!

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Did you mean Nebraska??? There is nothing on the radar in Kansas currently or east of Kansas.

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Yeah sorry, lol, thank you for catching!

1. steven (Derby Lake) says:

No prob. That it a strong cell right over Norfolk Nebraska. Surprise it has yet to spawn a tornado.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Sure is a strong one! I have to imagine there is significant damage occurring!

No storms for West Michigan just nice 70′s and cool 60′s at night are below normal summer keeps rolling right into fall then winter!! SPRITES!! INDYY!!

15. All of these misses with our severe weather and now with our cooler air settling in, its just making my decision of moving out of state much easier. Maybe Iowa, Nebraska, or Kansas. Michigan is pretty boring for weather but scenery is cool. My ideal scenery is farmland, which out west has plenty of.

16. Tennis Ball size hail near Coin, Iowa

This kinda Looks like a Whale !! http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/exper/enhtstm/. Anybody else See IT?? Stay CuedDD

I see your whale – and the trough that’s keeping us out of that MESS!

Sure does look like a whale, or fish.

I should have mentioned the nice light show to my north, early this AM woke me up to an almost “strobe-like” display….LOL!! When it flashes that often, I figure it’s C to C lightning and nothing to worry about.

19. High Risk area out now in Southern Iowa!

20. John (Norton Shores) says:

There’s a high risk out now for portions of Iowa!

1. Beat you by 1 minute! Lol!

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Lol! Yes you did! Amazing that we were thinking the same thing around the same time lol!

1. Great minds think alike!

21. Man I wish I could be at that rest area I was at in Pottawatomie County, Iowa right now… Lol

22. First tornado warnings of the day in Central Nebraska!