Partly Sunny Sunday PM

June 7th, 2014 at 11:49 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local  The rain has moved east of our area.  We’ll be partly-to-mostly sunny for the rest of the PM and mostly clear tonight with a chance of an isolated patch of fog where it rained.  Rainfall totals:  0.67″ S. Bend, 0.63″ Benton Harbor, 0.54″ Kalamazoo, 0.48″ Battle Creek, 0.21″ Grand Rapids, 0.20″ Lansing.  Less than 1/10″ of rain fell in many areas north of Kent County.  Here’s a map from the GRR NWS on rainfall totals this AM.  The morning run of the NAM (caribou) has the next rain on Weds.  The GFS-plot has 0.22″ of rain for G.R. from Tues. night thru Weds. night.  That model is also dry for next Friday-Saturday.   I can’t wait for the European model data.  I have to head back downtown to emcee at Festival (Circle Stage 3-6 pm.   The water temperatures at the Lake Michigan beaches Sunday morning ranged from 46° (Pentwater) to 59° at Grand Haven where the Grand River empties into the lake.   Also, The water level increase of 13 inches on Lake Superior in the last year means an increase of roughly 7.16 trillion gallons of water.  This is the 1st year in two decades that Batchawana Bay North of the Soo has completely frozen.

The weather was awesome Fri. and Sat. for outdoor activities.  Festival in G.R. and the B-93 bash scored big crowds Saturday.  I emceed stages for 6 hours Saturday at Festival and I’ll be back at the Circle Stage this coming afternoon from 3 – 6 pm.   Daughter #1 bought a car – 2012 Jetta with 34K.  She’s the daughter in Chicago.  I saw daughter #2 at Festival and daughter #3 is in Chicago visiting my mother, who is back from Tennessee for the summer.  I got to a couple of open houses before I went to Festival…two great kids!

Also:   HUGE hail at World Cup Soccer MatchAnother pic.    81 mph gust 1 mile NE of Amherst, TX.  70 mph winds 2 miles ESE of Whitebead, OK, and 1 mile SE of Muleshoe, OK, report NWS spotters.   Severe reports from Saturday.  Hen-egg-sized hail 10 miles N of Roswell, NM, no reports of damage to alien spacecraft.

Here’s GRR looping radar. Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where the snow has finally melted and the lake ice is gone. Here’s the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. Here’s Closings.

121 Responses to “Partly Sunny Sunday PM”

1st, yay. Bring some rain, please.

A TUNE, For The SUNDAY RAIN…CUE::: PFR- Pray For Rain – YouTube
    ► 4:18► 4:18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92xXdKjasI. Stay CueDDD……+…… God BLESS…… :-)

Born in a dry season
    Wind and sand have blown through me
    Haven’t found shade anywhere
    Only moments of relief

But sometimes I think I hear thunder
    Somewhere on the horizon line
    If I could just find a way to get under
    The rain that can reach this soul of mine

I pray for rain to come
    And wash away what has made me numb
    And I pray for a raging storm
    To drown the sin in me

And the rain comes in the nick of time
    I swallow hard ’cause my throat’s been dry
    The rain comes beating on my skin
    Till I’m washed away, nothing left within
    When your rain comes, your rain comes

Seasons have passed so quickly
    Since I felt that first big storm
    But still there have been times of drought
    When I’ve prayed for the clouds to form

And I often hear thunder
    And I know of its coming rain
    Many times in my life I kneel under
    The moving showers that brought this change

I pray for rain to come
    And wash away what has made me numb
    And I pray for a raging storm
    To drown the sin in me

And the rain comes in the nick of time
    I swallow hard ’cause my throat’s been dry
    The rain comes beating on my skin
    Till I’m washed away, nothing left within
    When your rain comes, your rain comes

I pray for rain to come
    And wash away what has made me numb
    I pray for a raging storm
    To drown the sin in me

Your rain comes, your rain comes
    (Your rain comes)

SONGWRITERS
    ANDREW PATRICK DENIS; HANSON JOEL DAVID

PUBLISHED BY
    SPARROW SONG;UNIVERSAL MUSIC-CAREERS

On June 8 in Southwest Lower Michigan…

6/8/1933
    An early season heat wave peaked as temperatures hit 97 degrees at Grand Rapids and 92 at Lansing.
    6/8/2003
    Tornadoes strike Lower Michigan, with damage mostly confined to near Fenton in Genesee County and Leonard in Oakland County. A weak tornado hit near Rose Lake in Osceola County but did no damage.
    6/8/2008
    Severe weather and flash flooding occur on June 7th and 8th, with four drownings in southwest Lower Michigan. Two people drowned when their car plunged into a fifty foot ravine created by a washed out road in Castle Park, Allegan County. Tornadoes struck in Osceola County near Hersey and in Eaton County near Needmore, downing hundreds of trees and destroying several outbuildings.

5. Bob So. of Fennville says:

Hi Jack, I think I will differ on the 2008 comment. It happened on the lake shore south of Douglas. Between Wiley Road and 124th Ave. Or the end of M89. A man and woman were delivering news papers before day light. They were found after they failed communicate with another delivery man. The road is still closed to thru traffic because a large section of the road is gone farther north.

Castle Park, Michigan is located in Laketown Twp. south of Holland. Off of 66th street.It has an actual Castle. I made a service call to it once. Years ago. Bob

1. Michael g (se GR) says:

Just saw that castle for the first time on Friday. Very cool.

6. Bob So. of Fennville says:

Google- castle park, mi. Lots of pictures of the German inspired castle and several links. I like this one.

7. Jerry Hoag says:

Bill, this comment in the thread is very funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something to make the day go good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all need a good laugh!!!!!

Many thanks Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jerry Hoag says:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, WHAT A NICE LOOKING FORECAST:

LONG TERM
    (TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY)
    ISSUED AT 318 AM EDT SUN JUN 8 2014

MODELS ARE IN DECENT AGREEMENT IN TRACKING SEVERAL MID LEVEL
    SHORTWAVES THROUGH THE FORECAST AREA DURING THE LONG TERM PERIOD.
    THE INITIAL WAVE ARRIVES TUE NIGHT AND PUSHES NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH
    THE REGION ON WED. SOME INSTABILITY ARRIVES ALONG WITH GULF
    MOISTURE. THUS WITH MOISTURE…LIFT AND INSTABILITY…THERE COULD
    BE A FEW THUNDERSTORMS AROUND. THE SECOND WAVE TRACKS IN FROM THE
    WEST ON THU. WHILE THIS SECOND SYSTEM WILL HAVE LESS MOISTURE TO
    WORK WITH…IT WILL POTENTIALLY FEATURE BETTER DYNAMICS AND STEEPER
    MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES. STRONGER STORMS ARE POSSIBLE. TIMING OF THE
    CONVECTION WILL LIKELY BE A FACTOR IN THE COVERAGE AND STRENGTH OF
    ANY STORMS. IF THEY ARRIVE THU NIGHT…THEY WILL LIKELY BE
    WEAKENING. FOR NOW WILL KEEP THE UNSETTLED LONG TERM FORECAST
    GOING.

WE WILL DRY OUT GOING INTO FRIDAY AS HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS IN FROM
    THE WEST. TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY END UP FAIRLY CLOSE TO
    SEASONABLE.

Well, I was hoping to get more rain out of this little system.

The next week looks awesome with temps near average in the 70s. Not too warm, and not too cool.

10. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Bill my friend just bought a 2013 Jetta (similar to 2012) and really likes it. I just got a Jeep Cherokee for my brother and I so that we can drive easily in the snow.

I was in the “sweet spot” for rain – we got 1/2″, and my lawn is just happy-looking for it :-)

1. ralphdraw3 says:

Scientists published two separate studies in two scientific journals — the journal of the American Geophysical Union and the journal “Science” detailing more evidence on global warming coming from the Antarctic.

The two studies, both using a 20 year history of data, showed that six glaciers in the West Antarctic are melting much faster than previously thought. As a result, sea levels will rise much more and much faster.

Scientists had already known that the Greenland ice sheet was melting at a fast rate, causing sea levels to rise.

Also, National Geographic Society published a long article on the West Antarctic melting as did NASA, which published an article and two videos on the Antarctic melting.

1. mk says:

Don’t buy it sorry

1. ralphdraw3 says:

Scientists are wrong

“Science” journal is wrong

American Geophysical Union is wrong

National Geographic is wrong

and you are right, for some reason..

Antarctic ice extent continues to set daily records: http://nsidc.org/data/seaice_index/images/daily_images/S_stddev_timeseries.png more than 2 standard deviations from average. Antarctic ice extent has been increasing for nearly 30 years: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/seaice.anomaly.antarctic.png It’s only June 9 – we’re wondering if we can see an ALL-TIME RECORD EXTENT THIS YEAR! (I’m sure Al Sharpton will be reporting this on MSNBC – NOT!). Global sea ice is ABOVE AVERAGE by nearly half a MILLION sq. km.: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/iphone/images/iphone.anomaly.global.png The ice is increasing because it’s COLD. Look at the COLDER THAN AVERAGE water surrounding Antarctica: http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/sst/anomaly/2014/anomnight.6.5.2014.gif The temperature at the South Pole has been remarkably stable over the past 55 years: http://berkeleyearth.lbl.gov/auto/Stations/TAVG/Figures/166900-TAVG-Raw.png

From the National Snow and Ice Data Center: “In the Antarctic, sea ice extent increased at a rate of 108,500 square kilometers (41,900 square miles) PER DAY, very close to the average rate of 108,400 square kilometers (41,850 square miles) PER DAY. For Antarctica, the linear rate of increase for May ice extent is 2.6% per decade relative to the 1981 to 2010 average.”

Sea level has actually dropped since 2008: http://www.c3headlines.com/are-oceans-rising/ “Latest peer reviewed research determines that recent sea level rise along the coasts of northern Europe and the English Channel are within historical bounds experienced during the 19th and earlier 20th century periods. Per the scientists from Australia, France, Germany, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, the actual empirical evidence points to a potential sea level rise by 2050 AD of 2.1 inches for the North Sea coast and 1.6 inches for the English Channel. “In light of the findings of the international team of scientists participating in this significant study, it would appear that there is nothing unusual, unnatural or unprecedented about the rate of sea level rise throughout both the North Sea and the rest of the Global Ocean over the entire CO2-emitting course of the Industrial Revolution.”

3. ralphdraw3 says:

Bill, can you explain ANY of this? (All part of the 150 year hoax of global warming theory?)

Scholarly articles for antarctic glacier melt

Fast recession of a West Antarctic glacier – ‎Rignot – Cited by 266
          … melting widespread near Antarctic ice sheet grounding … – ‎Rignot – Cited by 302
          … sea-level rise due to glacier melt based on regionally … – ‎Gregory – Cited by 149

Antarctic glaciers melting ‘passed point of no return’ – USA Today
          May 13, 2014
          The vast glaciers of western Antarctica are rapidly melting and losing ice to the sea and almost

Melt of Key Antarctic Glaciers “Unstoppable” – Scientific American
          http://www.scientificamerican.com › Energy & Sustainability › Climate Central
          May 12, 2014 – Melt of Key Antarctic Glaciers “Unstoppable”. Radar observations of glaciers along West Antarctica’s Amundsen Sea suggest a runaway

West Antarctica Glaciers Collapsing, Adding to Sea-Level Rise

news.nationalgeographic.com/…/140512-thwaites-glacier-melting-…
          by Clark Howard
          May 12, 2014 – The calving front of the Thwaites ice shelf in Antarctica is seen on October 16, 2012. The melting shelf is causing the glacier behind it to ..

West Antarctic Glacier Loss Appears Unstoppable – NASA Jet …
          May 12, 2014 – A new study by researchers at NASA and the University of California, Irvine, finds a rapidly melting section of the West Antarctic Ice

The UN IPCC AR5 report says this: “The recent IMBIE analysis (Shepherd et al., 2012) shows that the West Antarctic ice sheet and the Antarctic Peninsula are losing mass at an increasing rate, but that East Antarctica gained an average of 21 ± 43 Gt yr–1 between 1992 and 2011. Zwally and Giovinetto (2011) also estimate a mass gain for East Antarctica (+16 Gt yr–1 between 1992 and 2001).” (4.4.2.3) “Taking all these considerations together, we have medium confidence in model projections of a future Antarctic SMB increase, implying a negative contribution to GMSL rise (see also Sections 13.4.4.1, 13.5.3 and 14.8.15). Projections of Antarctic SMB changes over the 21st century thus indicate a negative contribution to sea level because of the projected widespread increase in snowfall associated with warming air temperatures (Krinner et al., 2007; Uotila et al., 2007; Bracegirdle et al., 2008).” (13.4.4.1) “There is low confidence that the rate of Antarctic ice loss has increased over the last two decades (Chen et al., 2009; Velicogna, 2009; Rignot et al., 2011c; Shepherd et al., 2012); (4.4.2.3)” “Due to a low level of scientific understanding there is low confidence in attributing the causes of the observed loss of mass from the Antarctic ice sheet over the past two decades. {4.3, 10.5}”

Univ. of Washington: ““ALL of our simulations show it will retreat at less than a millimeter of sea level rise per year for a couple of hundred years…”

“I have a problem with the widespread implication (in the popular press) that the West Antarctic collapse can be attributed to anthropogenic climate change,” said Mike Wolovik, a researcher at Lamont-Doherty who studies ice sheet dynamics. “The marine ice sheet instability is an inherent part of ice sheet dynamics that doesn’t require any human forcing to operate. When the papers say that collapse is underway, and likely to last for several hundred years, that’s a…plausible conclusion.” But, he said, the link between CO2 levels and the loss of ice in West Antarctica “is pretty tenuous.”

5. ralphdraw3 says:

I guess NOAA is wrong about sea level rise. Bill, you should set them straight:

” There is strong evidence that global sea level is now rising at an increased rate and will continue to rise during this century.

While studies show that sea levels changed little from AD 0 until 1900, sea levels began to climb in the 20th century.

The two major causes of global sea-level rise are thermal expansion caused by the warming of the oceans (since water expands as it warms) and the loss of land-based ice (such as glaciers and polar ice caps) due to increased melting.

Records and research show that sea level has been steadily rising at a rate of 0.04 to 0.1 inches per year since 1900.

This rate may be increasing. Since 1992, new methods of satellite altimetry (the measurement of elevation or altitude) indicate a rate of rise of 0.12 inches per year.

This is a significantly larger rate than the sea-level rise averaged over the last several thousand years.”

NOAA website

If NOAA or anyone else is forecasting near-term massive sea level rises (like this nonsense: http://cbdakota.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/natgeo_statue_liberty_sea_level.jpg (water waist deep on Lady Liberty) – they’re wrong. Sea level was rising before 1900 – it’s been rising since the last Ice Age: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/gornitz_10/fig1.jpg

Here’s recent sea level – note the rate (of rise) is NOT increasing more rapidly – in fact it’s been steady for the last 3 – 4 years: http://www.climate.gov/sites/default/files/sealeavel_1993-2012.gif

2. shelbyville says:

It is mind boggling to me that people, even with a good education, dismiss the fact that the earth’s ice is melting at an astonishing rate. There is clear photographic, statistical proof, yet they deny it…Even the mere suggestion of global warming brings on a cynical response from some people.

1. ralphdraw3 says:

Yes, Bill’s posse here are denialists.

Bill’s position is hedged: he says global warming is happening but slowly and we shouldn’t worry about it.

Here is what Bill’s organization says about AGW -

American Meteorological Society
          “It is clear from extensive scientific evidence that the dominant cause of the rapid change in climate of the past half century is human-induced increases in the amount of atmospheric greenhouse gases, including carbon dioxide (CO2), chlorofluorocarbons, methane, and nitrous oxide.” (2012)7

Oh – I believe Global Warming is happening. It happens. So does Global Cooling. Both have happened before; and considering that (in the epochal scheme of things) we’re coming out of an Ice Age, yes, the earth is going to get warmer. But since humans had no effect on the ups and downs of global temps in the past – I’m not certain we do now. I’m far more concerned about running out of fresh water/epidemics, etc – things that can take us out a lot faster than a gradual increase in temps.

Re melting glaciers: glaciers are found in mountains. Mountains are created by tectonic plates crashing into each other. Tectonic plates are floating on a sea of molten rock. There is ample heat rising from beneath our feet – heat that has NOTHING to do with air temps. When we drove into Alaska (the state – not the village), the AK DOT was trying to slow the melting of permafrost below roadbeds, because it makes driving truly miserable. At that point, their efforts were wonderfully successful – the highway was smooth and flat. What did they do?? They drove 12″ tubes at an angle, from the side of the road, angled towards the center of the road, to VENT GROUND HEAT. Worked great. The Alaskan Pipeline has a similar feature atop each anchor pylon – it looks like a metal fin.

Global Sea Ice is ABOVE AVERAGE by nearly half a MILLION square kilometers: http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg

If the AMS statement is current, it’s CLEARLY wrong, and more clearly now that the statement is 2 years old. NASA data shows no warming since 2002: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.C.gif

Even James Hansen admits the warming has flatlined: “The five-year mean global temperature has been flat for the last decade…. – James Hansen et al. (written in 2013).

The American Physical Society (over 50,000 physicists) is about to back off their position on global warming (read this: http://judithcurry.com/2014/02/19/aps-reviews-its-climate-change-statement/). The AMS will eventually be forced to do the same…hopefully with apologies to people like Dr. William Gray. Next time, hopefully they’ll be more reluctant to endorse the climate chicanery that was exposed in the ClimateGate emails (“use Mike’s TRICK to HIDE the decline”).

4. ralphdraw3 says:

The APS does a regular 5 year review of their position.

Bill, be sure to give me the updated version of the AMS position.
          Because two years is a long time..

Will do, Ralph – in the meantime, this from Dr. James Lovelock (and nbcnews.com):

““The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books – mine included – because it looked clear-cut, but it hasn’t happened,”

6. ralphdraw3 says:

Bill,

I think sea level rise is still a problem. Perhaps these people are making stuff up too.

Hampton Roads targeted for national sea level project
          The Virginian-Pilot-Jun 3, 2014
          Rear Adm. Dixon R. Smith, commander of the Navy’s Mid-Atlantic … Sea level rise scenarios range, in general, from 1-1/2 feet to 7-1/2 feet by …
          Military Bases Brace for Slow-Motion War With Climate Change
          NBCNews.com-11 hours ago
          … compensate for sea level rise because it happened slowly and people weren’t aware of it.” By the 1990s, utility lines used to hook Navy ships …

In Norfolk, evidence of climate change is in the streets at high tide
          Washington Post-Jun 1, 2014
          It is home to the largest naval base on the globe. …. At Naval Station Norfolk, sea-level rise prompted a decision in the late 1990s to raise the …
          Norfolk gets evidence of climate change every high tide
          Staunton News Leader-Jun 2, 2014
          Explore in depth (4 more articles)

The catastrophic forecasts of sea-level rising many feet in near-term time frames are wrong…not supported by observation or data. They are computer models that are designed to reach a certain conclusion by making assumptions that they make in order to get the desired outcome. Sea level has risen at a fairly constant rate since the Little Ice Age and in fact since the last major “ice age”. If rising sea level is such a problem, why do so many climate alarmists (Al Gore for one) buy oceanfront property? Here’s one record of sea level rise in Virginia: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/2009/sewellspoint_sealevel.png Note the fastest rise occurred at the beginning of the graph from 1925-35 and that current levels are similar to the late 1990s.

8. ralphdraw3 says:

Bill,

I don’t think the people living on the Marshall Islands are listening to you:

Tony de Brum, a minister of foreign affairs for the Marshall Islands, said that tides and global warming have caused inundation of islands and flooding of communities.
          Tony de Brum added that a severe damage in undermining regular land have also been caused by rising spring tides and global warming. On the 70th anniversary of the storming of Normandy beaches in the D-Day landings, Tony said that his views take into consideration the stark future of low-lying island nations.
          More than 1,000 isles covering a population of about 70,000 people are residing on Marshall Islands. During the WWII, the Marshal Islands were used as base by the Japanese navy in the run-up to attack on Pearl Harbor.
          As per statistical figures released by UN last week, about four times increase in global warming and sea level have been reported in the tropical western Pacific. About 12 millimeters increase in sea level water has been reported every year between 1993 and 2009. The global sea level rise is expected to increase from 26 centimeters to 98 centimeters by the end of the century.

Read more: http://newstonight.co.za/content/rising-sea-level-pacific-ocean-washes-remains-26-japanese-soldiers#ixzz348m69uIZ

The Marshall Islands (and other island groups) have figured out how easy it is to con $$ out of the U.S. and U.N. We know how much sea level has gone up and we know that unless the islands and communities were less than 8″ above sea level in the year 1900 – they have not been “inundated”. That’s silly and you look foolish passing along such nonsense. Sea level also varies from place to place: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/U._S._Sea_Level_Trends_1900-2003.gif/200px-U._S._Sea_Level_Trends_1900-2003.gif We also know that sea level has been rising at a fairly constant rate since the Little Ice Age: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/posts/Real-risk-of-a-Maunder-minimum-Little-Ice-Age-says-leading-scientist Sea level didn’t just start rising when Chevy started making Suburbans.

Notice also how it’s leveled off since about 2006: http://www.goes-r.gov/education/comet/broadcastmet/climate/media/graphics/sl_noib_global_sm.gif (which goes along with the leveling off of global temperatures).

3. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

If the Antarctic is melting, then why is it setting record extents for months at a time? The Arctic is recovering gradually and is now within 2 STDs of normal. http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/files/2014/06/Figure2.png
        Just brainstorming here, but wouldn’t less ice in the world actually lower the sea level? Water expands when it becomes ice. Ice is less dense than water so if we melted the ice, there would be less displacement of sea water. But then again, ice displaces an amount of water equal to its weight so maybe there would be no change in the sea level if all the ice completely melted (which will probably never happen). World sea ice is a little above average right now. http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/IMAGES/global.daily.ice.area.withtrend.jpg

1. ralphdraw3 says:

That is sea ice not land ice. The land ice in antarctica is melting and retreating.

Greenland land ice is also melting at a fast rate.

2. ralphdraw3 says:

Arctic ice is still below normal:

Arctic sea ice extent for May averaged 12.78 million square kilometers (4.93 million square miles). This is 610,000 square kilometers (235,500 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average for the month. May 2014 is now the third lowest May extent in the satellite record.

3. ralphdraw3 says:

Your brainstorming

No difference in sea level with floating sea ice or no sea ice.

See Archimeades Law on displacement of water.

NOAA expects the Arctic Sea Ice Anomaly to go ABOVE AVERAGE this summer: http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/people/wwang/cfsv2fcst/imagesInd3/sieMon.gif

You brought up Archimeades Law of displacement of water. That applies to Arctic ice, which sits mostly in the Arctic Ocean…so decreasing Arctic ice would have a relatively small effect on sea level. Actual Antarctic temperatures do not show any kind of temperature rise that would cause any significant increase in melting (keep in mind that the average temperature at the South Pole is -55F and the warmest it’s ever been is +8F. Much of Antarctic is too high in elevation and too cold to melt any snow.

Temperatures north of 80° latitude are colder than average and forecast to stay that way thru much of the summer: http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php They were warmer than average last winter. However, Arctic ice doesn’t melt in the winter, even if it’s warmer than average. What counts is what melts during the summer. We’ve had a heckuva time melting ice in Lake Superior! There’s STILL a little ice in the northern part of Lake Winnipeg and Hudson Bay is still frozen over: http://www.natice.noaa.gov/pub/ims/ims_gif/DATA/cursnow_usa.gif There’s still snow on the ground at Churchill and there’s solid ice on the Arctic Ocean at Barrow AK: http://seaice.alaska.edu/gi/observatories/barrow_webcam The warmest temp. at Barrow this year has been 38°.

You’re hero, Al “I bought oceanfront property in California because I really don’t think the oceans are going to rise that much” Gore said six years ago that “the icecap will be gone in five years”. How did that work out? There’s considerably MORE ice in the Arctic now than there was in 207-08: http://arctic-roos.org/observations/satellite-data/sea-ice/observation_images/ssmi1_ice_ext.png (fits the fact that sea level is hasn’t risen since 2008).

4. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Hey I’m done arguing. We won’t change each other’s opinions because we believe in completely different theories. Let’s agree to disagree. I can’t stand arguments anyway. Sorry for wasting so much of your time.

1. ralphdraw3 says:

Your theory is?

Global cooling?

Theory of Nothing Happening even though CO2 has nearly doubled in the atmosphere?

It’s not a theory. It’s reality…look at the graph, Ralph: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.C.gif

CO2 is at 400 ppm – it’s been over 2,000 ppm in the past. http://www.biocab.org/Geological_Timescale.jpg (note that CO2 and global temperature do not “match” on the graph).

We are not getting more or bigger hurricanes. We are not getting more strong tornadoes. We haven’t had a drought worst than the Dust Bowl years of the 1930s. 24 of 50 states STILL have their hottest temperatures from the 1930s – in 80 years it has not been hotter.

Forcing utility bills to “skyrocket” (direct quote) on the poor and middle class will not budge global temperature by 1/10th of one degree. CO2 emission in the U.S. are going DOWN – CO2 emission in China are skyrocketing. Go tax China!

3. ralphdraw3 says:

Bill,

According to one chart I have, mankind dumps 30 billion metric tons of CO2 into the atmosphere IN A SINGLE YEAR. This number will go up every year if the current trend continues and human population grows to 9 billion.

Navy and Defense preparing for climate change:

Meanwhile, another report, this one from the Center for Naval Analyses Military Advisory Board, promised additional conflicts over food and water on top of all the religious and ethnic hatred brought on by higher temperatures and the destruction of already scarce water resources—to say nothing of the inevitable damage to and destruction of US naval ports and military bases. Moreover, the Pentagon’s most recent Quadrennial Defense Review, its primary planning document, drew a “direct link between the effects of global warming—like rising sea levels and extreme weather patterns—and terrorism.”

Ralph – Carbon emissions in the U.S. are falling: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/08/in-a-surprise-co2-emissions-hit-20-year-low/1 Carbon emissions in Europe and Japan are also falling. Carbon emissions in China are skyrocketing: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/27/blogs/dotchinaco2new/dotchinaco2new-blog480.jpg (note graph from NY Times). You have no plan to force a massive carbon tax on China. Of course the Chinese Communists would laugh in your face. Alarmists like Dr. Paul Ehrlich have been forecasting calamity for +50 years, none of which has ever happened. Poverty in the world has been cut sharply in the last 30 years. We have significantly increased yield per acre around the world. My wife is a member of the local Rotary Club. Just the Rotary Clubs worldwide have brought clean water to MILLIONS of people in the 3rd world (http://fllrotaryclubwaterprojects.org/). We won’t bring clean water to the 3rd world by making utility bills in the U.S. “skyrocket”. Terrorism will be increased by returning Taliban murderers back to the Taliban.

5. ralphdraw3 says:

Your all time favorite temperture graph cherry picks. It only shows temperatures since 1996. A graph of global temperatures for the past 100 years will show a steady increase in temperature. Can you explain this warming trend over the last 100 years?

Further, your graph shows that the warmest year was NOT 1998, as you deniers keep repeating, but was probably 2007. BTW your graph does not include ocean warming and ocean heat content.

The chart CLEARLY shows no warming since 2002 (many climatologists say 1998…many). The charts you present show one degree of warming in the last years. Think about how good global temperature was measured 100 years ago. Today we have valid ground temperature readings from about 15% of the globe. We still have the oceans, vast tracks of Antarctica, Middle East deserts, etc. with virtually no ground temperatures. The point is that the climate models have failed badly…everyone admits this. What the climate alarmists said would happen, hasn’t happened. As Dr. James Lovelock points out:

“The problem is we don’t know what the climate is doing. We thought we knew 20 years ago. That led to some alarmist books – mine included – because it looked clear-cut, but it hasn’t happened,” Lovelock said. “The climate is doing its usual tricks. There’s nothing much really happening yet. We were supposed to be halfway toward a frying world now,” he said. “The world has not warmed up very much since the millennium. Twelve years is a reasonable time… it (the temperature) has stayed almost constant, whereas it should have been rising — carbon dioxide is rising, no question about that,” he added.

You can see the error of the many climate models in this graph from Colorado State University: http://www.climatedialogue.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Figure-2-Pielke.jpg

This is Dr. Judith Curry, Head of Climate Science at Georgia Tech University:

My written (Senate) testimony documented the following evidence:

For the past 16 years, there has been no significant increase in surface temperature. There is a growing discrepancy between observations and climate model projections. Observations since 2011 have fallen below the 90% envelope of climate model projections
          The IPCC does not have a convincing or confident explanation for this hiatus in warming.
          There is growing evidence of decreased climate sensitivity to atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations
          Based on expert judgment in light of this evidence, the IPCC 5th assessment report lowered its surface temperature projection relative to the model projections for the period 2016-2036.

The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late 20th century warming and projections of 21st century climate change. Sensitivity of the climate to carbon dioxide, and the level of uncertainty in its value, is a key input into the economic models that drive cost-benefit analyses, including estimates of the social cost of carbon.

If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability. In a recent journal publication, I provided a rationale for projecting that the hiatus in warming could extend to the 2030’s. By contrast, according to climate model projections, the probability of the hiatus extending beyond 20 years is vanishing small. If the hiatus does extend beyond 20 years, then a very substantial reconsideration will be needed of the 20th century attribution and the 21st century projections of climate change.

Attempts to modify the climate through reducing CO2 emissions may turn out to be futile. The stagnation in greenhouse warming observed over the past 15+ years demonstrates that CO2 is not a control knob that can fine tune climate variability on decadal and multi-decadal time scales. Even if CO2 mitigation strategies are successfully implemented and climate model projections are correct, an impact on the climate would not be expected for a number of decades. Further, solar variability, volcanic eruptions and natural internal climate variability will continue to be sources of unpredictable climate surprises.

12. fixxxer says:

have a craptastic day. as of now the end of june going into the 4th looks chilly and rainy, we shall see.

Go outside. It’s sunny and beautiful again.

2. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

What weather are you looking at? Today is beautiful!! It is what you make of it!

3. Michael g (se GR) says:

As of now the Fourth of July is 26 days away. The guy who doesn’t believe weather can be forecast more than 3 days out is negative snout a day 26 forecast.

What a goat !!!! INDYY!!

13. ralphdraw3 says:

Mike M. or Bill can take the one:

American Geophysical Union
    “Human‐induced climate change requires urgent action. Humanity is the major influence on the global climate change observed over the past 50 years. Rapid societal responses can significantly lessen negative outcomes.” (Adopted 2003, revised and reaffirmed 2007, 2012, 2013)

(More lies from hundreds of scientists?)

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Total nonsense. Just seeing the words ” human induced climate change” in the same sentence, makes me want to throw up. Im buying another SUV next week that actually gets worse mileage than the one I have now. Another blow to the planet I guess, right?

1. ralphdraw3 says:

Go buy that SUV and sink a lot of money into gas.

In 2010, the global emissions of CO2 is estimated at 30 billion metric tons of CO2. That’s just one year – 30 billion metric tons. That won’t affect the atmosphere!

The level of CO2 in the atmosphere is at 400 ppm – an all time record since humans came on the scene. The CO2 level has been rising for the last 150 years at least. It will continue to rise as CO2 is fairly stable and 7 to 8 billion people keep burning fossil fuel.

1. mk says:

Volcanoes are clean? Yet perfectly legal

You know, Ralph – it’s time for me to get a new SUV. I need to get to work when the Blizzard of ’15 arrives, and that organic bicycle just won’t cut it. I’ve got 175,000 miles on the old Explorer – thinking of getting a new one.

CO2 has gone from 280 parts PER MILLION of the atmosphere to 400 parts PER MILLION of the atmosphere and somehow we’ve all survived (inc. the polar bears: http://www.npr.org/2013/02/02/170779528/the-inconvenient-truth-about-polar-bears) In fact global temperatures are holding steady: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.C.gif

CO2 emissions in the U.S. (and Europe and Japan) are falling: http://www.npr.org/2013/02/02/170779528/the-inconvenient-truth-about-polar-bears CO2 emissions are soaring in Communist China: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/27/blogs/dotchinaco2new/dotchinaco2new-blog480.jpghttp://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/02/27/blogs/dotchinaco2new/dotchinaco2new-blog480.jpg

2. ralphdraw3 says:

I am sure you know a lot more than the scientists:

American Chemical Society
        “Comprehensive scientific assessments of our current and potential future climates clearly indicate that climate change is real, largely attributable to emissions from human activities, and potentially a very serious problem.” (2004)

1. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Increased CO2 is extremely beneficial to the earth and may cause greater crop yields in the future as the plants feast on their increasing natural food. Without CO2, most plant life would die and so would we. Little to no research has been done without the agenda of CO2 as a harmful greenhouse gas so we don’t really know how beneficial the gas is. The few that have tried have either lost their jobs or don’t have the funding. The stifled research is staggeringly different from what the general scientific community has been promoting.

2. ralphdraw3 says:

The extra CO2 is dissolving into the oceans in huge amounts ( otherwise the CO2 level would be even higher than 400 ppm in the atmosphere). The extra CO2 in the ocean causes “ocean acidification” which hurts fish but shelled animals whose shells dissolve in the acidic water and die.

See ocean acidification.

Nice try though..

3. ralphdraw3 says:

The Chemistry

When carbon dioxide (CO2) is absorbed by seawater, chemical reactions occur that reduce seawater pH, carbonate ion concentration, and saturation states of biologically important calcium carbonate minerals. These chemical reactions are termed “ocean acidification” or “OA” for short. Calcium carbonate minerals are the building blocks for the skeletons and shells of many marine organisms. In areas where most life now congregates in the ocean, the seawater is supersaturated with respect to calcium carbonate minerals. This means there are abundant building blocks for calcifying organisms to build their skeletons and shells. However, continued ocean acidification is causing many parts of the ocean to become undersaturated with these minerals, which is likely to affect the ability of some organisms to produce and maintain their shells.

4. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Oh so now it’s going into the oceans… I wonder what they’ll think of next? There’s always something. They also claim the “missing heat” of their failed climate models is going into the oceans yet there’s no proof of that.

5. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

They have proof of that? Is sea life truly showing a decline because of Ocean Acidification?

6. Ansel says:

I believe we are changing the climate. Not just science, but common sense is how I back my argument. How could we release an astronomical amount of CO2 and not change the atmosphere?

7. ralphdraw3 says:

This is what happens when you only watch Fox News for information.

Both oxygen and CO2 dissolve in water.

Remember high school biology?

BTW the oceans are also getting warmer as heat is transfered from the air to the ocean.

High school chemistry and biology..

8. ralphdraw3 says:

The Biological Impacts

Ocean acidification is expected to impact ocean species to varying degrees. Photosynthetic algae and seagrasses may benefit from higher CO2 conditions in the ocean, as they require CO2 to live just like plants on land. On the other hand, studies have shown that a more acidic environment has a dramatic effect on some calcifying species, including oysters, clams, sea urchins, shallow water corals, deep sea corals, and calcareous plankton. When shelled organisms are at risk, the entire food web may also be at risk. Today, more than a billion people worldwide rely on food from the ocean as their primary source of protein. Many jobs and economies in the U.S. and around the world depend on the fish and shellfish in our oceans.

9. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

I don’t watch much of Fox. I watch them all. I get my information from scientists. And they disagree with almost everything that the mainstream media is promoting. Many of them have Ph.Ds and have honorable respect in the scientific community.

10. ralphdraw3 says:

Good to you don’t just listen to Fox News.

American Association for the Advancement of Science

“The scientific evidence is clear: global climate change caused by human activities is occurring now, and it is a growing threat to society.” (2006)

I watch FOX NEWS and think your MSNBC channel stinks. There I said it. I must be much less intelligent because of my news source, right?

12. ralphdraw3 says:

I watch C- Span, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert and MSNBC. I listen to NPR. I also read websites like NASA and NOAA.

THESE are far superior to the claptrap from Roger Ailes and his blond bimbos with lots of leg. You can do better!

Your side is far more superior to my news source which is outnumbered at least 4-1 is hilarious. I like where I get my news, and wouldn’t change for the life of me. I honestly don’t really watch a lot of national news that much more anyway. I mostly rely on basic common sense and raw data to make easy assumptions. Your teams theory will be debunked within the next 10 years or less, guarantied.

Gee – I go away for a weekend and some foaming-at-the-mouse catastrophist hijacks the blog. Ralph listens to (ahem) climate scientists Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert? What next Homer Simpson and the Marx Brothers (note to Ralph – that’s this guys: http://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Marx%20Brothers/Annex/Annex%20-%20Marx%20Brothers%20%28A%20Night%20in%20Casablanca%29_01.jpg not this guy: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wq2xbXoHBrA/UEiPe2xlL5I/AAAAAAAAAXc/sAqmwO58b0c/s1600/4063769723_0f28afd9d8.jpg)

Heck, maybe you should listen to Homer Simpson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7poastmPSA

You listen to MSNBC for climate information eh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhw5MgCBwf8 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvXdnMln8lM

Here’s NASA Ralph: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/Fig.C.gif NO WARMING SINCE 2002.

3. Michael g (se GR) says:

Yes. CO2 WAS .03% of the atmosphere, NOW it’s .04% of the atmosphere. The end is near.

1. Cort S. says:

Fair questions in response: What would temperatures be if CO2 was 0% of the atmosphere? If going from 0.00% to 0.03% makes a difference, then going from 0.03% to 0.04% would not be insignificant.

2. ralphdraw3 says:

If there were no CO2 in the atmosphere, the earth would be much colder, as during the ice age when CO2 was 200 ppm or lower. Neither nitrogen nor oxygen are greenhouse gases as their molecules are smaller and don’t trap radiation. Methane, CFC, CO2 and water vapor are GHGs.

Water vapor is a far more important greenhouse gas than CO2. CO2 concentrations in the past where 5-10 times what they are today and somehow life not only survived but flourished. From Nature Magazine:

“Knowledge of the evolution of atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations throughout the Earth’s history is important for a reconstruction of the links between climate and radiative forcing of the Earth’s surface temperatures. We estimate CO2 concentrations of more than 2,000 p.p.m. for the late Palaeocene and earliest Eocene periods (from about 60 to 52 Million years ago). Since the early Miocene (about 24 Million years ago), atmospheric CO2 concentrations appear to have remained below 500 p.p.m. and were more stable than before, although transient intervals of CO2 reduction may have occurred during periods of rapid cooling approximately 15 and 3 Million years ago.”

2. mk says:

Ride your bike, expel more CO2

Careful – Ralph will want a bicycle tax with the money (of course) going to pad the pockets of the politically connected.

3. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

An “astronomical” amount of CO2 is 0.4% of the atmosphere. I believe the earth can handle it. Remember: all of the CO2 and Ocean Acidification stuff is just theories, not agreed on by the entire scientific community.

1. Ansel says:

Really? So you just “believe” the Earth can handle it. I guess I will go with the scientists as opposed to your beliefs. By the way, you will never get the entire scientific community to agree on anything. But I would say the majority of 97% is pretty close. But you keep believing it will be ok!

1. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

And what I’ve been finding… the 97% was an extremely small number of scientists somewhere between 70 some and 10,000. I’m done debating now. Wears me out, this stuff. Let’s just agree to disagree. We won’t change each other’s opinions. Sorry to create such waves. I really don’t like arguing. Not my character.

2. mk says:

Tropical plant fossils in Antarctica, who knew

The 52% Consensus: http://judithcurry.com/2013/11/10/the-52-consensus/

“How to square this with the oft reported 97% consensus? Well, ‘climate scientists’ in these surveys typically includes economists, ecologists etc., nearly all probably representing second order belief.”

4. Robert(Plainwell) says:

AGW is all about politics, grant money, and taxes.

14. Cliff(KZOO) says:

.6 tenths in Scotts

1. Eileen (Hesperia) says:

6 drops in Hesperia :(

15. Cliff(KZOO) says:

Also interesting to look at is how dry it has been from a I96 line North. Could the cold waters of Lake Michigan be causing this?

1. Cort S. says:

More likely the lack of upper-atmospheric support for widespread rain.

We had 3 very nice days here in the GR area with temps in the upper 70’s and low to mid 80’s and a good amount of sun shine. Then we had some (not a lot) of rain last night (I had 0.19”) Today is starting out on the cloudy side but it should clear out later today. And expect temps once again to be somewhere in the mid 70’s.
    After 7 days we are now +3.1° for June here in GR and across the state Lansing is +2.7° Detroit is +2.1° Gaylord is a whopping +5.5° Marquette +4.5° Houghton +3.3° they still have a patch of snow on Mt Ripley
    But its getting smaller

And Flint is coming in at +3.7° so all in all a very mild start to June 2014 here in Michigan.

Interestingly, Flint is +3.7 while they had three consecutive days not above average.

2. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Warm start to June! Not sure why most were calling for a cool month earlier.

Who was calling for a cool June?

*crickets* as usual.

You are on some potent drugs! Delusion at its worst! Get a grip!

17. Well I never got much rain last night, but got some and I won’t complain. I got 0.12″ of rain in my rain gauge.

18. Kevin(Rockford) says:

.05..hardly worth noting but it is something. I hope the mid week system brings more.

19. mr. negative says:

SE GR – 4/10 of an inch of rain overnight…we’ll take what we can get.

20. Brian (Grandville) says:

What an awesome day. Some of us got some much needed rain last night. Consider yourself lucky if you did. Tigers go for the sweep tonight on ESPN.

Sprites are going down nice on this perefectt Sunday afternoon!! Keep up the good work Bill…..INDYY!!

SPRITES!!! SPRITES !!!! X 30 = PERFECT @ The YARDofBRICKS!!! Stay CUEDDDDD….. ;-)

22. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

What a beautiful day! Great breeze got the windows open & loving it!

23. steven (Derby Lake) says:

Wow Storms popping up all over the place now. Out west has a large tornado watch area with some warnings currently, down south has a large area of thunderstorm watches.

It sure seems like eastern Colorado has really active this season.

Here is THE KINKS, a Classic TUNE Called ” SUNNY AFTERNOON”….. CUE& ENJOY ::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIKsHh3BFPI. :-) ….stay CUEDDD….. ;-)

It was a GREAT Spring day outside today! Keep the cool sunny days coming baby!

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Another average temp day. I love it. Nice WARM temps. Fantastic. Bring it

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Those have been right about as much as you have been which would be almost never. I love it. Fantastic. Temps still running above average. Who knew? Get used to it. Bring it. Fantastic.

Get ready – we have TONS of average to below average temperatures on the way! I love it!

1. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Just the facts. We have plenty of WARM temps coming. Plenty of 80′s and some 90′s. Warmest mini ice age ever. I love it. Fantastic. Who knew. Bring it. Thanks for listening. Keep the average to above average temps coming.

27. DF (EGR) says:

Another awesome day on the west side. Got some serious unpacking done and got to go down to festival! The wind today made the day in my humble opinion.

Welcome to thee West side of weather DF!!! INDYY!!

” West Side Is THE BEST Side…DF”…. Welcome !!! Stay CUEDDD… ;-)

3. DF (EGR) says:

Thanks fellas.

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Wow I’m really going to have to get used to your new location, I hope you like it!

Just an awesome, delightful day!!! I wouldn’t mind an entire summer like this :-)

1. Sandy(Hudsonville) says:

I ditto that! It has been a beautiful day & evening. The breeze is feeling good! It’s been great having the a/c off.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

This weather is just purrrrrfect……! Cat -napin weather..!

29. Dan (Byron Center) says:

Turned out to be very nice following the morning rain! Go USA in the World Cup!

A large pool of below avarage temps are headed right at us! Bring it!