Wednesday

June 10th, 2014 at 12:30 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Local   2:08 am:  The last sprinkles are dying out.  There will be some patchy fog in the morning and some low clouds.   Storms produced heavy rain, hail and winds to 35-45 mph.  – limbs down at 60th and Kalamazoo Ave. – 2.75″ of rain at the Lansing Airport…1.74″ 5 NNW of Lansing, 0.93″ of rain in 30-minutes in East G.R.    Rainfall:  0.70″ Grand Rapids, 0.36″ Kalamazoo, 1.19″ Muskegon, 0.65″ Holland, 0.43″ Big Rapids, 2.30″ Delta Twp. west of Lansing, 0.35″ Ludington, 0.60″ Battle Creek, 0.16″ Jackson.   We’ll continue to have a chance of showers or a t-storm this evening.  There is a slight chance of a shower or t-shower tomorrow.  Friday and Saturday look partly – mostly sunny and dry.  Storms are likely Sunday night.

More evidence this will NOT be a “Super” El Nino (means a cold winter is still on the table for 2014-15…not saying it’s going to happen, just be wary of those people forecasting a super-warm winter).

Also, there were 6 fatalities as severe thunderstorms swept across parts of Germany on Monday.  It was cold in the U.P. this morning.  Jacobsville got down to 32° and the low temperature was 34° at both Champion and Doe Lake.  Houghton reached 38°.   There is STILL a patch of snow on the Mt. Ripley webcam!  Look at the size of the iceberg floating in L’Anse Bay on Sunday.

Here’s GRR looping radar. Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, GFS snowfall for the next 120 hours and NAM model snowfall for the next 84 hours. the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, and a surface weather map. You can checkout the latest Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington, the weather station at Manistee Harbor and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort, where the snow has finally melted and the lake ice is gone. Here’s the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. Here’s Closings.

216 Responses to “Wednesday”

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

Looks like the beginning of next week could become quite active and very wet and highs around 80.

LONG TERM…(SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY)
    ISSUED AT 328 PM EDT WED JUN 11 2014

AFTER A QUIET SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT…THE LONG TERM BECOMES
    ACTIVE BY SUNDAY AND LOOKS TO REMAIN UNSETTLED THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

HIGH PRESSURE MOVES TO OUR EAST SATURDAY NIGHT WITH RETURN FLOW
    BRINGING IN WARMER AND MOISTER AIR FOR THE FIRST HALF OF NEXT WEEK.
    A SERIES OF SHORT WAVES ARE PROGGED TO AFFECT THE AREA SUNDAY
    THROUGH WEDNESDAY. THIS WILL GIVE US PERIODIC SHOWERS AND STORMS.
    TIMING OF THESE SHORT WAVES IS PROBLEMATICALLY THIS FAR OUT…BUT
    THE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT TIME FRAME LOOKS THE WETTEST
    WITH POTENTIAL MCS/S COMING ACROSS THE AREA. WILL HAVE POPS IN FOR
    TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY ALSO…BUT THE PCPN APPEARS TO BE MORE WIDELY
    SCATTERED BY THEN.

NOT MUCH TEMP CHANGE EXPECTED FROM DAY TO DAY WITH HIGHS MAINLY
    AROUND 80…ALTHOUGH IF WE SEE A FEW PERIODS OF SUN WE COULD REACH
    THE MID 80S ON ANY GIVEN DAY. IT WILL BECOME HUMID BY SUNDAY NIGHT
    AND THE STICKY AIR SHOULD LINGER THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

What? Highs around 80 degrees every day! How is this possible? Who knew?

1. John (Norton Shores) says:

I will take 80′s over 90′s, 90 is just too hot for me.

2. matt says:

warm weather soon thanks for listening.

3. Rodey (Rockford) says:

Imagine that, temps in the 80′s in the middle of a mini ice age. Who knew? Fantastic. I love it. Thanks for listening.

It’s Raining Here & The SUN is Shining !!! Gotta Take a Walk and Search For a Rainbow !!! You guessed it CUE::: Searching For A Rainbow by Marshall Tucker Band – YouTube
    ► 3:53► 3:53
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRdQenyUzg. ENJOY….& Stay CUEDDD ( of Course)……………. ;-)

We Are BILLS Blog…We ARE WEATHER!!!!!! Stay CUEDDD….Go TIGERS!!!! ;-)

Just found this on youtube. Pretty amazing footage of a violent tornado last May.

That’s awesome.

2. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Good vid and nice find Brian..! I would love to witness that in person , wow. The atmosphere is amazing.

5. mr. negative says:

SE GR – as of 8pm, 1.74 inches

1. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Yes, it has rained a ton here.

6. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

This rain we are getting is so so nice , what a blessing…! So it looks possible that my mid -month prediction just might , might come true as there is chatter about us in Mi getting in on the fun. Now I won’t fuel the jet just yet but at least we made the conversation , now comes the hard part and that’s reeling the storms into our cwa for our viewing pleasure , without the storm – saw having it’s way I might add…! This is a tall order I know , and we shall keep our fingers and toes crossed. :) . Lol

7. I am not sure the amount of rain I have recieved, but well over an inch that is forsure. My yard has never looked better. Now its on to bigger and better things. I have an interview tonight at 11:30P.M. which might sound odd to some people but thats when the 3rd shift manager is there. for a night stocker position at Meijer. Hopefully it goes well! Pretty nervous! wish me luck!

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Good luck Kyle. Make every interview the best one you’ll ever do. Ask at least 3 questions too.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Good luck.., you will do fine..!

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

Radar estimates show around an inch for Byron Center, and good luck on your interview Kyle, you’ll do great! :)

3. Scott (robinson twsp) says:

Good luck Kyle. I also think you’ll do just fine.

1. Thanks everyone, it went pretty well!

8. Darrekk(near downtown GR) says:

My rain gauge is up to 1.89 for the day.

Very,Interesting Day, WEATHER wise. Rain, Sun , midget Thunder, little Lighting . Nice Day for DUCKS, as They Say. I wouldn’t Call it ” Bad Weather” Day. But I did Have This OLD POCO Tune Run Through MY Brain as I watched out my Window TODAY! CUE::::: Poco – “Bad Weather” – YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soWQ6huD8oc. Stay CueDDDD. ;-)

10. I just saw News 8′s segment on black bears in West Michigan. I remember there was a sighting in Ottawa County near Jenison not to long ago. And now just yesterday someone called in to dispatchers about a bear by the highway near Fruitport in Muskegon Co. Ive never heard of a sighting in Byron Center yet but a few years back I saw a cougar in Allegan Co. so they are around to just not a high density. I think Muskegon Co. has more bears than we think. Same with Newaygo being very wooded

11. The only time I have ever seen a black bear and its cubs was in the western part of the state of Virgina near Bastian, Virginia in the Appellation Mountains.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Black bears are fun too see in the wild , have seen many camping in the sierras and other surrounding areas . They usually won’t mess with ya but don’t get to close with cubs around or in between them and food…lol. I did read about an attack not far from here on the internet , I think it was a little girl if I remember correctly. ( but very rare form what I hear in this area )

Bear ( pun intended) FACTS Here ::: Facts About Michigan Black Bears.

Bear Sightings , Here:: hastingsbanner.com/bear-sightings-becoming-more-common-in-southern-…

12. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I found the long range forecast both funny and glad we aren’t getting snow….! First part funny , second part interesting would be more appropriate .

SO…ENSEMBLE CONTINUITY HAS ALSO BEEN LESS THAN
    STELLAR…ESPECIALLY FROM THE NERN PACIFIC INLAND INTO WRN NORTH
    AMERICA…WARRANTING ADDED USER CAUTION. Lol…!!

THE OVERALL FLOW DOES REMAIN PRIMARILY COMPRISED FROM UNSETTLING
    PIECES OF AMPLIFIED/COOLING WRN US MID-UPPER LEVEL ANCHORING
    TROUGH ENERGY EJECTING NEWD ACROSS MID-CONTINENT. THIS STILL
    FAVORS LATE SEASON LOCALLY ” HEAVY SNOWFALL ” OVER THE NRN ROCKIES AND
    PERIODS OF ORGANIZED STRONG CONVECTION/MCS ACTIVITY OVER THE
    N-CENTRAL STATES……

13. Anna says:

I live in newaygo county and yes we do have bears. We have quite a few living along the banks of the Muskegon river. We have a small one that lives not to far from our house. We live in a very wooded lot directly above the muskegon river . People need to be aware at all times. Just last month we camped in Luther, which is in Lake cointy and I say one running down the 4 wheeler path, not to far from the Carriesville state forest camp grounds. I had to look twice to realize what I was looking at a 500 to 600 pound bear running down the 4 wheeler path. It looked like he was having fun.

Thanks, Anna !!

14. The interview is over with. I got interviewed by 2 people tonight and have to go back on Friday for a 3rd interview with another person. I should know by Thursday or Friday next week if I got the job or not since they need time to discuss. So looks like I will have time to do some storm chasing if we can get some severe weather around here next week, but I wont count on it.

15. Mike (Shepherd, Mi) says:

Video I took earlier of strong rotation between Maple valley and perrinton.

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says: