Watch SE WI, NE IL, NW IN, E IA and Lake Michigan

June 17th, 2014 at 10:56 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

WW0318 RADAR Thumbnail Image Meso-scale Discussion from SPC at 2 AM:  “TSTM CLUSTERS HAVE BECOME CONFINED ACROSS CNTRL/S WI TO S LK MI…ALONG/N OF AN ARCING WARM FRONT FROM NEAR RST TO MADISON TO KALAMAZOO. ALTHOUGH A RESERVOIR OF MODERATE TO STRONG POTENTIAL BUOYANCYWILL RESIDE S OF THE FRONT…GREATER INHIBITION AND LACK OFAPPRECIABLE LARGE-SCALE ASCENT BEYOND WARM AIR ADVECTION WILL PROBABLY PRECLUDE DEVELOPMENT SWD IN THE NEAR-TERM. FARTHER N…ISENTROPIC LIFT SHOULD CONTINUE TO FOSTER CONVECTIVE CLUSTERS WITH A RISK FOR SEVERE HAIL MOST PROMINENT IN INITIAL CELLULAR UPDRAFTS…GIVEN MODEST SPEED SHEAR EVIDENT AOA 3 KM AGL IN GRB VWP DATA. WITH TIME…MANY OF THESE CELLS SHOULD CONGLOMERATE…BUT THE RISK FOR SEVERE WINDS MAY BE SUBDUED BY LACK OF ROBUST LLJ AND COOLER/MORE STABLE AIR MASS OVER MOST OF LOWER MI.
A Severe T-Storm Watch is in effect until 5 am EDT for E. Iowa, S. Wisconsin, N. Illinois, NW Indiana and Lake Michigan. SPC says “A TORNADO CANNOT BE RULED OUT. HOWEVER…THE PRIMARY RISKS WILL BE LARGE HAIL WITH THE INITIAL STORMS…AND DAMAGING WINDS AS STORMS EVENTUALLY GROW UPSCALE INTO OR MORE CLUSTERS.”

Thunderstorms are coming in off the lake as I write this at 1:55 am – the storms certainly contain heavy rain and frequent lightning and a few storms may contain gusty winds and hail.

354 Responses to “Watch SE WI, NE IL, NW IN, E IA and Lake Michigan”

1. There’s still a lot extending west. I wonder if that will train over the same areas later on? In other words, I’m wondering how much of this we’re in for today :)

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Good question it seems to be holding a pretty consistent line , but it’s supposed to dip south at some point but I’m not seeing it yet. I think you should be in a good location , there is a little lull but I can see the lighting moving this way. They weren’t expecting it to arrive until around 4:00- 5:00 so we could see more …

2. How many of my fellow bloggers have been up all night and have to work today?? What a night!!

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

+1 but I can work from home today , thank god…lol. Just need a persistent internet connection and I’m okay , not flying anywhere as that’s a relief….

1. Thats good if u can work from home! I’m lucky…I dont go back to work until Monday (recovering from my back surgery). Would have been a rough day otherwise lol. I did get an hour “nap” in though.

3. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Storms approaching ..

4. cassie in Kentwood says:

Got some good pics of nickel size hail here near 60th and Kalamazoo. Fox17 posted a pic I sent.

5. Another round on track to hit Walker/GR within a half hour or so. Here we go again! :)

6. Travis (Lake Odessa) says:

HOLY CANOLI!!!!!! What a storm!!!!!

7. Tim says:

Impressive gust front in Rockford, followed by the best storm of the year!

8. R.C. says:

Flooding is going to be a big problem. Showing continuous complexes of strong storms that will train over same area for the next several hours. Rainfall amounts are going to be off the charts.

9. Swatz_Zoo(Cedar Springs) says:

I can hear our yard and the woods slurping this rain up we’ve needed this rain so bad

10. Ben Lamfers says:

Does anyone understand what these weather discussion mean. Example ‘TSTM CLUSTERS’ . The object is to communicate. I have said this before, try to communicate in standard English. Notice I did not say simple. This is a demand for communication, not weather speak. Why bother to place this in a blog if there is no good communication.

I commend the US weather personnel and all others involved for the reduction of deaths in Pilger. Something worked well.

11. That’s a first – I received an emergency flood alert/notification on my phone this morning while the storm was coming through. I didn’t know what in the house was making that noise until I narrowed it down to the phone.