Storms Weds. PM

June 25th, 2014 at 9:49 pm by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Rainbow Sparta Andy Schut 6 25 14   Damage Gun Lake 6 25 14    The pic. on the left is a rainbow in Sparta after the storm (from LaVerne and Sharon Schut) and the second picture (from ReportIt) shows a tree down near Gun Lake in Barry County.  Winds hit 50-60 mph at Gun Lake.  The strong NNW winds caused a seiche on the lake of 8-12″, as the wind pushed the water toward the south side of the lake.  Golfball-sized hail fell near Battle Creek, along with 45 mph winds.  1″ hail fell near Fremont, Delton and the southeast side of Gun Lake.  There was nickel-sized hail in Walker, Dime-sized hail in Cutlerville, marble-sized hail in Marne and pea-sized hail in Scotts, Wyoming, Standale, near GVSU,  Bedford and Hickory.  Trees and/or wires were down in Fremont, north of Fremont, Grant and near Battle Creek.   The storms formed along the edge of the lake-breeze in the eastern lakeshore counties and tracked SE-SSE.

21 Responses to “Storms Weds. PM”

Two questions – is Charter TV dead, or is it just me? Second question, assuming we get our cable back: where is WOOD’s weather channel?? Everything is all messed up since their digital changeover….

I meant “dead” as in “not working in our area tonight”?

2. Brian (Grandville) says:

Deb, I work in communications and networking, and let me tell you, these storms wreck havoc on our equipment. Unfortunately, aside paying up front for damages that mother nature provides, without a good maintenance plan on the equipment, and handing the claim to your home owners insurance, there isn’t a whole lot else you can do.

I just don’t understand how we can have internet service via Charter – but no TV signal?? Isn’t it the same line??

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

It sounds to me like the cable transformer may have been effected, but not the modem. These situations are bizarre, and sometimes hard to diagnose. Which makes my job a challenge every day.

From my geek son-in-law who works for Charter up in TVC:

“”It would be unusual to lose only one service and traditionally, if one were to stop, internet would be the one since it’s the pickier of the two (assuming the underlying cause is a signal issue of some kind at the home or neighborhood). But,there’s a number of individual components that are different between the services that could be the case here. I’m not sure which one of our facilities serves Gun Lake. So any damaged devices that serve that town would have the same effect in several neighboring communities, which makes me think it’s unlikely this is the case. It could be something as simple as their cable box was itself damaged. It really depends on how widespread the symptoms are. You are generally correct in that the transmission system of delivering both television and internet are (in almost every case) the exact same system. This would leave any individual service disruption the fault of the receiving device (cable box in this case) or the system that delivers television to a pretty wide geographic area.”

3. Tyce (Green Lake/Caledonia) says:

I think Wood weather radar is channel 193 on Charter digital TV. I had to find it last night for my folks on Green Lake.

Thank you!! After searching – I finally found that. In OUR area, where weather radios don’t work – WOOD’s weather channel is a Godsend!!

2. Where the pot of gold sitting in that field? Lol

CUE:::: Searching For A Rainbow by Marshall Tucker Band – YouTube
      ► 3:53► 3:53
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRdQenyUzg. Heeeheee…stay CUEDD & Tigers continue to ROLL, ahead 7-3 in the 6th !!

Thanks, Kyle for Sharing ! Stay CueDDD.

So pretty from your house – NOT so pretty at MINE…..LOL!! We’re still picking up pieces of trim/siding; and branches galore.

3. Mr. Negative says:

Heard a couple of rumbles to the North…must have been from the Sparta show.

Off Topic….TIGERS WIN AGAIN!!! 6 in a ROW…wahoo…..Stay CUEDDD.

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Looking good, time to put the bad streak behind them.

5. Dan (Byron Center) says:

That storm kind of really blew up and really strengthened in West Michigan. It did not look that impressive when it moved over the lake. USA verses Germany in World Cup Soccer! They need a win or a draw to move on! Lets go USA!

1. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

Let’s hope they win…! Although they can advance a few other ways even if they don’t win or draw. ( let’s hope we don’t need to rely on other game outcomes ).

6. Tyce (Green Lake/Caledonia) says:

Anyone have a rain total for that storm? In the Green Lake area I think that was the hardest 20 minute rainfall we have had in the past 12 years. Water flooded over the retaining wall behind my folks house and flooded their storage room, and that has never happened before in the 12 years they have lived there.

I got just over 1/2″ in my rain gauge (in that 20 minutes)

And I should add that we didn’t get as much rain as the east side of the lake. Glad we missed out on the hail.