Hottest Day of the Year – Average

June 27th, 2014 at 12:23 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Hottest Day of the Year - from NOAA   Click on the graphic to enlarge or click here.   This is a map showing when you can expect to get the hottest day (warmest maximum temperature) of the year.  Here in Michigan, on average we get that between July 6 – 15.  The warmest average daily temperature (combination of high and low temperature) occurs around July 20 (so minimum temperatures are a fraction of a degree warmer in late July than in early July).  Look at the West Coast.  It takes time to warm up the deep ocean water, so the California Coast is most likely to see their hottest day in September.  Note that the same thing happens where the prevailing south wind comes off the Gulf of Mexico (S. Texas to Arkansas and east to the Mississippi River), which takes a while to reach it’s warmest (note the prime of hurricane season is in September and not in July).  On the other hand, the Big Bend Area of Texas on average sees their hottest afternoon of the year in the first half of June, before the “monsoon” brings are that is a bit more humid, a few more clouds and an occasional shower or t-storm.

Note – 5:55 pm Fri. -  grass fire near the campground at Holland State Park.  6:20 pm – firefighters have pretty much knocked the fire down.

12 Responses to “Hottest Day of the Year – Average”

1. Me :-) says:

The best 3 months of the year are on their way :-) It looks like we will have a rainy weekend. I had some outdoor plans but I guess I will cancel. Have a great weekend anyway :-)

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Rainy weekend? No way, maybe Sunday evening at the earliest. Don’t cancel your plans just yet.

2. Hey Swatz_ Zoo let us know how your flock is acting these next few days!

HAPPY ” FRY”day….” The Heat is ON”…. CUE, Glen Frey :::: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_vyVGnji8. Bring on the HEAT & STORMS PLZ!! Stay CUEDDD…

4. DF (EGR) says:

Took the kids to the zoo today in GR. It was awesome this morning walking around, its getting a bit hot now at 85°.

5. It’s downhill from here. I’ll gladly take some heat and humidity over the hard winter we had.

6. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

What a beautiful day in Michigan and I’m hopping I can make my first ( summer ) trip to the fresh water ocean this weekend , weather permitting. I’m also going to have a little talk with the storm – shredder and see if I can work out a deal ( break bread ) to take Sunday – Tuesday morning off. Lol

Let The ” FireWorks ” BEGIN :::: http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/fireworks-exploding-4756663.jpg. ENJOY, and Happy FRYday !! And , of Course Stay CUEDD……. ;-)

8. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Just went for a run and Im sweating more than ever. Its super humid outside right now. Thunderstorms are coming! (I also hear fireworks)

OH YEAH, I Would LOVE 2 Get Up CLOSE & PERSONAL with That SUPER-Cell. Hard To Believe It Never TURNED, Tornadic !! Maybe WE CAN Get some of Those To Roll Through West M.I. On Monday Evening/ Night ! So, Remember as ALLWAYS ….STAY CUEDD……………… ;-)

CUE: vimeo.com/70315280.