Great Lakes Water Levels and News

July 25th, 2014 at 12:48 am by under Bill's Blog, News, Weather

Lake Superior sunset Jack Martin 7 18 14    Picture from Jack Martin of a Lake Superior sunset near Munising on 7/18.   Lake Michigan/Huron (one lake for lake level purposes – connected at the Mackinac Bridge) is 2″ higher than it was one month ago and an incredible 15″ higher than it was one year ago.  Each extra inch of water on Lake Michigan represents an additional 390 billion gallons, so 15″ would be an increase of 5.85 TRILLION gallons!  Lake Michigan/Huron is now just 4″ below the long-term average.   It’s now 27″ above the lowest July level of 1964 and 36″ below the highest July lake level in 1986.  Lake Superior is up 2″ in the last month and up 11″ year-to-year.   Superior is now 7″ above the long-term average and only 6″ below the highest ever July lake-level of 1950.  Lake Erie is down 1″ in the last month, unchanged in the last year and 4″ higher than the century average.   Lake Ontario is down 3″ in the last year, but 2″ higher than the long-term average.   Lake St. Clair is up 1″ in the last month, up 7″ in the last year and 4″ above the century average.   The outflow from Lake Superior down the St. Marys River into Lake Huron is expected to be above average through the rest of the summer.   The Grand River in Grand Rapids is running (as I write this) at about double average flow (3400 cfs vs 1620 cfs average).  The Muskegon River at Croton is at 1150 cfs compared to an average of 1210 cfs.   The Kalamazoo River at New Richmond is at 1630 cfs compared to an average of 1729 cfs.

News:  Fastest 12-month lake level rise on Lake Superior since 1916Sewage overflows in Chicago not the fault of “global warming“.  Update on Enbridge replacing pipeline.   More support anchors for Great Lakes oil pipelines.

8 Responses to “Great Lakes Water Levels and News”

1. Brian (Grandville) says:

Thanks for the weekly thread Bill. I like it because Im a creature of habit. I need a routine to function, and the every Thursday thread helps me with my “OCD” as my wife calls me.

Second, On Brian’s FAVORITE THREAD. ” OCD” ??? Wow, Incredible Great Lakes Water Level NEWS !! ALSO, Another BEAUTIFUL PIC. From Mr. Jack Martin . The Sunset Pic. Makes Me Think of One of my Favorite Songs about The Sun Going DOWN. CUE : Wayne Watson – There Goes Sundown – YouTube
      ► 4:05► 4:05
      Stay CueDD, Keep Looking UP, & GOD BLESS…. :-) . Side Note : Tigers Win in LA. Mad Max gets His 12th Win of The Year. He also Struck -Out 12 A’s !! Finally……… HAPPY FRYday Morning….. :-)

2. Bernie at the lakeshore says:

I remember when cottages were falling into the lake. There was lots of driftwood back then.

3. Sharkee says:

Hey Bill or Jack is there a meteor shower this weekend?

1. Skot says:

Go to Spaceweather.com my friend.

Hey Sharkee :::
      Watch What Could Be This Summer’s Best Meteor Shower
      National Geographic ‎- 36 minutes ago
      Often considered the cosmic consolation prize to August’s iconic Perseid meteor shower, the Aquarids meteors may actually outperform their …
      Just Goggle ” Meteor Shower” !!! And You Will Find This LINK. Hope This Helps!!! Happy ” Meteor Hunting”. & STAY CUEDD,!………………………….. ;-)

4. Robert(Plainwell) says:

hey Bill I have a couple of questions for you. Does the amount of water in the great lakes influence the amount of lake effect if the conditions are the same as when there is less water in the lakes i.e. wind pattern and cold weather? Does the amount of water influence temperatures during the year as more water is harder to warm up in the summer and cool down in the winter?

5. on the Grand says:

The Grand is at it highest in the last ten years. The best I have seen it ever. But what is strange, there is no water fowl or fish about.