Great Lakes Water Levels Update and News

August 8th, 2014 at 10:30 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Lake Michigan summer sailboat marie steffen   Pic. from a couple nights ago by Daughter #2 (Marie) – click to enlarge.  Despite the dry weather here in G.R., the water level of Lake Michigan/Huron was unchanged in the last week.  The lake(s) is up 1″ in the last month, up 15″ in the last year and only 3″ below the century average.   Lake Superior is unchanged in the last month, up 9″ year-to-year and is still 6″ above the long-term average.  Lake Erie is down 1″ in the last month, down 3″ year-to-year, but up 5″ from the century average.  Lake Ontario is down 4″ in the last month, down 1 inch in the last year, but 6″ above the long-term average.  Lake St. Clair is unchanged in the last month, up 9″ in the last year and 4″ above the century average.  The outflow from Lake Superior into Lake Michigan/Huron is above average and expected to remain above average through August.   The Grand River at Grand Rapids continues to run well above average flow for August (2860 cfs as I write this…median is 1,780) due to heavier rain upstream from Ada.  Check Michigan river flow here.

Also:  Lake Superior water level highest in 17 years.  Here’s photos showing the rising water in the Great LakesLake Michigan salmon fishing slowing a bit this summer.  14-year old girl becomes youngest person to swim across Lake OntarioSailboat racing on Lake Michigan.  Sierra Club warns “Great Lakes water levels rising, but that won’t last!”   Bill Steffen warns “Elevator in Sears Tower rising, but that won’t last!”   (I know it’s the Willis Tower now, but everyone still knows it as the Sears Tower)  Lake levels go up and down (like an elevator) and the graph of lake levels since 1918 shows that any link to CO2 in the atmosphere is a Herculean stretch.  The year with the average lowest water level on Lake Michigan was 1964 and the highest was 1986.  The lake naturally goes up and down by nearly 7 FEET from lowest to highest level each 50-100 years.

13 Responses to “Great Lakes Water Levels Update and News”

Keep the facts rolling about rising water levels, flat long term global temperature patterns and the COLD and SNOW for this Fall and WInter! I love it!

1. matt says:

Why so you can make up lies on the playground about your fake ski trips

Your ignorance shows no limits! Imagine that!

1. matt says:

imagine that you running around the playground making false claims about your imagined ski trips. Thanks for listening.

With as fast as this summer is going by I can only hope that this winter goes by faster…AS while some people claim to love the cold and snow of winter that vast majority of people do not. While I enjoy all types of weather I would not mind it all if we could have the weather pattern we are now in all year long. While it could become boring I would much rather be bored then cold.

Very boring! Give me 6 months for COLD and SNOW and 6 months of great golf weather!

LOL!! True – “boring” doesn’t require a completely different wardrobe! My “ideal” winter would be snow starting about December 20th; and ending Feb 28th. But this surely has been an ideal summer – it’s gong by WAY too fast!!!

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

Give the Kids snow on, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Christmas Day. They can keep the snow up North after that !!!

3. Sandy (Hudsonville) says:

I have to second that! I would love this all year. Not bored. Not to hot or cold. I am hoping for a nice long Fall!

4. Barb says:

I’m ready to live down south in the winter. I can see why people live in two places.

Give me COLD and SNOW for 6 great months!

1. matt says:

Why so you can brag about those fake ski expeditions

4. Barb says:

I took a bike trip around St. Ignace today. Very warm. The fire danger is high up here, and the grass is brown. The lakeshore at the straits looks better than in years past but there’s still a lot of tall grass/weeds along the shore where there should be water.