In Green Bay

August 18th, 2014 at 1:18 am by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Bill at Lake Michigan - Grafton, Wisconsin   Here I am Sunday afternoon about 75 feet above the lake on the bluff overlooking Lake Michigan at a park in Grafton, Wisconsin.  Click on the picture to enlarge.  There is a layer of low clouds over the lake as you look east toward Michigan.  The temperature on the car thermometer pulling into the park was 65° and that was probably about the high for the day.  On the bluff there was about a 15-20 mph NE wind off the lake.  To my right you can see one (small white dot) boat.  While I was at the park, scanning the horizon, I saw 5 boats total.  I thought that was on the low side, since I was just north of Milwaukee.  Waves were around 3 feet and there was a significant longshore current.   The only creature that went in the water down at the beach was a dog fetching sticks amid the waves.  I admired the dog’s unconstrained enthusiasm for doing the task at least a dozen times as I watched, shaking the water off for a few seconds before bounding into the water again.  This evening, we’re in Green Bay.  Found a motel and (with the help of the motel clerk) got the best deal off of Priceline.  I had a nice chat with some guys checking into the motel from the NFL Network, here to cover the Green Bay-Oakland game Thursday night.  Daughter 2 and I are going to do the Lambeau Field tour tomorrow.  I’ve been to Lambeau once before.  Daughter 2 has not and really wanted to see Lambeau Field.  If I’d have thought about it earlier, I would have scheduled a way to see the game (there are usually plenty of tickets floating around for sale for the pre-season games on both stub-hub and the NFL ticket exchange).  If you were watching the Sunday night game – which we did – you could see plenty of empty seats (Kansas City played at Carolina).   Earlier in the day, I did get recognized in a Walgreens.

On the way up, we stopped at the town of Belgium, Wisconsin and saw the Luxembourg-American Cultural Center.  We missed the Luxembourg Festival in Belgium by one week (it was last weekend).  My father was 100% Luxembourger – both his parents were born in Luxembourg – coming to America separately and then meeting in Chicago.  Luxembourg is slightly bigger than Kent Co. and has a population of approx. 525,000 – compared to roughly 622,000 in Kent County.  You wouldn’t recognize many famous (even part) Luxembourg-Americans.  The most famous is probably tennis player Chris Evart.  It’s the only Grand Duchy in the world (with a Grand Duke), but is actually a parliamentarian republic.  It has the 2nd highest GDP per capita in the world next to Qatar.  It’s between France, Germany and Belgium.  It’s was overrun by the Germans in both WWI and WWII and historically was once part of Belgium and the Netherlands.   The Belgium American Legion is having their big auction and grill-out next Saturday.  You get free corn and – get this – FREE BEER!  That’s right – free beer (that’s one way to get the bids up at the auction!).   We hope to end up in Munising tomorrow evening.  Happy Monday from the land of cheeseheads!

8 Responses to “In Green Bay”

1. Scott (Robinson twsp) says:

I’m actually checking for updates on your travels, good stories and ideas of stuff to do. Drive safe.

1. Scott (Robinson twsp) says:

Few times a day. :)

Great view and great temperatures! Imagine that!

3. yooper4021 says:

Have a great time Bill. I bet you’ll find that Lambeau Field has changed alot, if it’s been a while since you last visited. Can’t wait to get up there in September (Jets game) and October (Panthers game)!

If you’re headed from Green Bay to Munising, I’m guessing you’ll be traveling through Escanaba. Check out Dobber’s Pasties and Sayklly’s Candy as you drive through….and wave to my folks too!

4. junior says:

But Bill Luxembourg is a socialist country with government healthcare did you know that ?

I guess it depends on how you define “socialist”. The Socialist Party of Luxembourg has been in a general decline for 50 years. In 1964, they commanded 38% of the vote – in 1984 is was still 33.6%. In the last election, the Socialist Party had just 20.2% of the vote and won just 13 of 60 seats in the general election last year. The U.S. has the highest corporate/state tax rate in the world: http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/27/pf/taxes/corporate-taxes/ Luxembourg is a small country, so it doesn’t have the multiple layers of government that we have in the U.S. (Federal, State, County, City or Township, School District, Water District, Sewer District, etc.). Socialism/Communism can work on a small scale and in a more homogenous people group – like the Amish getting together to rebuild a barn knocked down in a storm. It is less likely to work long term in a larger country. Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher said, “…Socialist governments traditionally do make a financial mess. They [socialists] always run out of other people’s money. It’s quite a characteristic of them.” That’s what is slowly happening here in the U.S. as we rack up trillion-dollar deficits every year that will be impossible to pay back (see Detroit)…and Frank Zappa said: “Communism doesn’t work because people like to own stuff.” Here was the response of the Beatles to the 95% tax rate imposed on them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqK97av7I3s

5. thadeous says:

FREE BEER! WOOT!

6. Hudsonville Barn Cat says:

Luxembourger. That reminds me of the story about Kennedy speaking at the Berlin Wall back in 1963, when he famously said “Ich bin ein Berliner” which translates to “I am a Berliner”.

Supposedly his speech writers were glad he wasn’t speaking in Hamburg or Frankfurt that day. It could have been an international crisis to have the President walking around saying “I am a hamburger” or “I am a frankfurter”.