August 19th, 2014 at 8:20 pm by under Bill's Blog, Weather

Tues. 8:15 pm.   Scattered showers and t-showers.  Here’s storm reports from SW Michigan, N. Indiana (and the Michigan counties that border Indiana) and SE Michigan.  Rainfall:  3.55″ Irving (Barry Co.), 2.70″ Byron Center, 2.65″ S. Haven,  2.56″ Comstock Park, 2.50″ Howard City and Middleville, 2.17″ Bradley (E. Allegan Co.), 2.11 Allegan and Cutlerville, 2.10″ Greenville, 1.90″ Norton Shores, 1.98″ Dutton,  1.88″ Ford Airport in G.R., 1.86″ Hastings and 1.83″ Ludington, 1.81″ Holland.  Small hail fell in Calhoun and Jackson Counties with a few trees down in Bloomingdale, DeWitt and near Sturgis.

Links: Grand Rapids radar, Northern Indiana radar, Chicago radar, Detroit radar and Milwaukee radar. Here’s regional radar, the College of DuPage Radar Map (pick any radar in the U.S.), College of DuPage Grand Rapids radar, the West Michigan Lightning Tracker, National Lightning Tracker, the local warning/advisory map and the National warning/watch/advisory map, a surface weather map. You can checkout the late. st Grand Rapids NWS discussion, the Northern Indiana NWS discussion (includes the Michigan Counties that border Indiana), the discussion for Northern Lower Michigan, and Eastern Lower Michigan. Check out Storm Total Precipitation (until they reset it). Here’s the Spyglass Condos Weather Station the S. Haven GLERL station, the Muskegon GLERL station, the Grand Haven Steelheaders webcam and weather station, and the weather station at Holland State Park. Check out the Maranatha Webcam at Lake Michigan and links to webcams. Here’s the infrared satellite loop (night) and the visible satellite loop (daytime), Lake Michigan water temperatures (summer). Here’s recent storm reports from SW Michigan, Northern Michigan, NE Illinois, SE. Wisconsin, Upper Michigan and E. Michigan. Check out the wind and wave height at the South Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the North Mid-Lake Michigan Buoy (Apr. to Nov. only), the buoy at Big Sable Point near Ludington and the weather station on the beach at St. Joseph. Here’s Michigan wind gusts from MesoWest, data from the MAWN agricultural weather stations and Weather Underground (data at the bottom from private weather stations). Check out the webcam at Krupp’s Resort in the U.P. Here’s the U.S. Low Temperature map. Here’s a live look at the Houghton Bridge. Here’s the Consumers Energy Power Outage Map. Here’s Closings.

31 Responses to “”

1. dereks says:

A little less than in a inch in Vestaburg.

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

Ugh well here comes the warm weather! I had a busy day today and didn’t have a good chance to get on the blog, but I can assure you all that I have been reading all of your comments and watching all of the storms. I appreciate the reports!

3. Jeremy (Three Rivers) says:

Power’s finally back on at the house. Almost a half inch of rain this afternoon. Freaky gusts of wind almost looked like hurricane footage. Lost many small branches and a few trees in the woods. We lost power because a tree fell on the lines down the road. I would guess 40-50 mph winds? Was the storm severe when it came though here? I didn’t check (actually I was working at my grandpa’s at the time).

4. Barb says:

Thankfully some much-needed rain fell today with little thunder/lightning and no wind. It’s warm & humid, but I won’t complain after last winter.

5. Alger Dave says:

Got hammered in Byron Center. 2.7 inches, and I left my sunroof open – ugh!! It had been so dry, Bill, that I didn’t think it was ever going to rain again. Thought I was safe with the sunroof thing. Dang.

What a nice morning love to see old uncle sparkee back on Bills blog!! Getting ready for round 2 of camping swimming and drinking sprites with a hot fire tonight!! Have a great Hump Day!!!!! INDYY!!!

7. Travis (Oakland County) says:

I’m back to average for August with the warm weather on the way.

NWS Detroit saying more strong storms today:

Storms today may produce wind gusts up of 40 to 50 mph with hail around one half of an inch up to dime size with the strongest storms.

While Flint is now at average for August most of the rest of Michigan is still below average for the month. With both Detroit and Lansing being -2.7° Port Huron at -2.3° and Saginaw -1.1° so I guess Flint is a little island of warmth in a sea of cold.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

Detroit has been warmer than Flint so far in August, as expected

Okay, you got me thinking. How bizarre:

Detroit’s average temp for August is 69.9 – but is -2.7 for the month.

Flint’s average temp for August is 69.6 – but is -0.0 for the month.

So Detroit’s historical average temp through this part of August is 67.2 and Flint’s historical average temp is 69.6.

That said, Flint has been (historically) 2.4 degrees warmer than Detroit. That doesn’t seem to make any sense.

Just like I said Flint is an island of warmth in an sea of cold. Lansing is to the west of Flint and Port Huron is to the east of Flint and Saginaw is to the north of Flint.

8. John (Norton Shores) says:

The NWS rainfall outlook gives most of West Michigan another 1-2″ of rain for tomorrow night, highest amounts as you head west and lower amounts east.

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

I will take every drop of rain i can get!

2. Nathan (Forest Hills) says:

I wouldn’t get into specifics just yet, but it looks like many people could get some more… unneeded?… rain. Many areas got over 2=3 inches yesterday so I think we are good for a while.

Most areas received enough rain for a while yesterday. So that means the grass will not only turn green it will now grow and we will have to get out there and cut it again and then maybe again in the up coming days,

1. Rad (Jenison/Hudsonville) says:

I have very sandy soil here, It takes a lot of water to green things back up.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

The more rain the better, that means we will get farther away from the dry conditions! :)

John, I am not sure where you get the idea its been dry this year. Most of the Great Lakes region has had a good amount of rain this summer.

2. John (Norton Shores) says:

It’s been very dry here, until we’ve gotten rain the last couple weeks, but other than that it was getting dry to the point the grass was becoming crunchy and the plants were dying unless you watered them.

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

While it wasn’t drought type dryness it was defiantly getting dry around here.

4. John (Norton Shores) says:

We did get a good amount of rain this spring though and with lot’s of snow maybe it wasn’t considered a dry year, I don’t mean to confuse you but what I meant is this summer has been dry. Especially in the lakeshore counties.

3. John (Norton Shores) says:

But I do agree many areas received much needed and enough rain yesterday.

I know many areas received more but here at my house I received exactly one inch of rain yesterday. it’s a nice and sunny start to the day here with the temp now standing at 67° It looks like GR’s best shot of reaching 90 or better this summer will come this weekend if we do not reach it this week end chances are we will not this summer.

Meanwhile on the El Nino Front it looks like the best way to go for this fall/winter will be for a weak to maybe moderate El Nino and that means we very well could be looking at yet another cold winter but we shall see how that plays out.

Agreed, time to get out and about with the kids on this nice day. The forecast sure is in flux for the weekend. Every day it changes somewhere from 83°-90° for high.

1. Travis (Oakland County) says:

You were making fun of WXYZ saying 90 was a possibility a week ago… and now even Wood is showing 90.

Hmmm

WXYZ’s 90 was very short-lived. They’re is now only saying 85 on Sunday.

2. DF (EGR) says:

Lol! Thanks Mark… You think he’d check his source first.

10. Kevin(Rockford) says:

1.51 inches of sweet,sweet rain fell yesterday and can already see the yard perking up. I’ll take more as the clay can really soak it up.

11. Stacsh says:

Fertilized three days ago ahead of this rain. Yard looking green as can be!

12. DarrenSVRstm ( Cedar S ) says:

I will echo what many have already said and that being the much needed rain we recieved yesterday was a blessing . I could actually use so more rain up here in Cedar S. , so bring on the T – Storms plz!

13. Irish coffee says:

Lost power in GRand Jct….still out ; typing from puter @ BK in So Haven– fridge items dicey– almost 24 hours w/o may cost a few $$